Newbie from Texas USA

More
8 years 4 months ago #36933 by Bisonbuff
Hello,
I found ya'll while searching for bison. Great site! I am building a "all about bison" site and was able to makes some contacts , thanks to your discussions.

Look forward to reading more.
Bison buff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #480411 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Newbie from Texas USA
Welcome...bit cool up your way?

More
8 years 4 months ago #480414 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Newbie from Texas USA
Welcome. If you could post some information about the easy and difficult aspects of bison on the Your Place forum that would be great. I understand they make fantastic beef but are ornery (is that the right word?). But maybe the ones brought into NZ are the only ones that have an attitude problem????
Info about Yaks would be interesting too, especially their meat comparison. Yaks apparently have a 20 day shorter gestation. Thus crossing quiet Yaks and frisky bison might make the best of both attributes :-) ..... or the worst :-(.

More
7 years 11 months ago #489617 by Bisonbuff
Replied by Bisonbuff on topic Newbie from Texas USA
My apologies for not getting back sooner. We really have no issues with our bison, the only thing we have to watch for are worms. In the wild, when they were wild...they grazed and traveled. So worms were not an issue as they are in todays bison. We do not cross bison with any thing other than bison. We and so many others, believe in keeping them as the way we found them over a 100+ years ago. (when ranchers started fencing them)
I have heard Yaks are calmer, but I have no personal experience. For us...bison is IT!! Such a cool, intelligent animal. They are playful....family oriented...just a real pleasure to have around. We have a couple web sites out for anyone who wants to know more. www.frasierbison.com www.bisonconsultation.com and www.allaboutbison.com Since first posting on here, we met and continue to talk with a New Z. rancher...bison producer. I have found a few more bison owners in other countries as well. The info has been coming in faster than I can place it on all about bison .com.

More
7 years 11 months ago #489619 by Bisonbuff
Bison attitude.

Bison...some here and there can be on the "don't push me side" but we have found that usually comes from being mis-handled. If they have been sick or under the weather...they, like us can be cranky. Or if you try to handle them or make them do something....they will remember it forever. We never try to force ours to do anything. We encourage what we want, by giving them the way. For instance, if we want to bring them in, we'll put cubes in the pen we want them in. They hear that bucket and they will run for it. It's called "sookin' ". Or, if we want to move them from one pen to another and cubes aren't an option. We will stand, where we don't want'm, like in the back of the pen they are in. They naturally want away from us and as they move towards the gate, we move with them, encroaching their space bubble.

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/494245=14173-Tim with herd n Trixie.jpg[/img]

More
7 years 11 months ago #489628 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Newbie from Texas USA
Hi and welcome. Thanks for the interesting link. They look awesome. :)

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
7 years 11 months ago #489665 by kindajojo
Wow they look amazing...what does the a age bison weigh in the photo, they look massive

More
7 years 11 months ago #489703 by Name123
Replied by Name123 on topic Newbie from Texas USA
I used to go into Target to shop and always bought bison if it was in the chiller. Couldn't really tell the difference, but I'd put that down to my cooking.

More
7 years 11 months ago #489817 by Bisonbuff
The buffs in the picture weigh around 1100-1300 they are cows. Tim is 6 foot tall, so that gives you a better idea of their size.

Cooking bison.......I use salt, little pepper and garlic. It really brings our the bisons flavor and it should be cooked at a lower temp than other meats. With burger, the less you handle it the better, like pre-made patties are tougher than bulk. I will experiment with the burger and add all kinds of stuff. The Indians at times would add blueberries. I tried that....it was ok..:/

More
7 years 11 months ago #489818 by kindajojo
Sounds delicious....if you were a tad closer, we could drop in for a BBQ.......

More
7 years 11 months ago #489877 by Bisonbuff
LOL, yeah , just a few miles out of the way.

More
7 years 11 months ago #489918 by Buttons
Replied by Buttons on topic Newbie from Texas USA
How would you describe the flavour?

More
7 years 11 months ago #489944 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Newbie from Texas USA
Welcome Bisonbuff - although I know nothing about Bison, I just sold a pair of possum slippers to a lady in Texas :)

More
7 years 11 months ago #489946 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Newbie from Texas USA

ronnie;494600 wrote: Welcome Bisonbuff - although I know nothing about Bison, I just sold a pair of possum slippers to a lady in Texas :)

Thats Australian Possum, not the ones you get in America..... we used to have people from the USA ask about our wool/possum yarn because they thought it was made from the American Opposum and couldn't work out why we would do that!

More
7 years 11 months ago #489954 by Bisonbuff
Ours don't have wool do they, just hair. I am guessing it is a coarse hair at that. Can you post a picture of one of your critters. I had no idea they existed, but I never looked into wool animals before.
I talked with some Californians about porcupines, they thought they threw their quills. A lot of people do. I had one as a pet once. He got caught in a trap and he was so friendly, we took him home and turned him loose after reading up on them. I learned quite a bit about them, after having him.

"Sticky"

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/494611=14207-Sticky 1992.jpg[/img]

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds