Control of weeds in paddock ... HELP

More
10 years 5 months ago #36695 by horsemaddaughter
Hey everyone,

We're very new to this - we moved into a large lifestyle property in the Manawatu 9 months ago (I've been a city girl my whole life so this is a big change). We graze horses mostly, and have put in a decent sized arena for my daughter. Also have 2 sheep and are getting 2 calves tomorrow - need to keep the grass down somehow.

I've seen we have an outbreak of a nasty paddock weed, in most of the paddocks on the property - the horses wont touch it and the sheep graze around it. Looked it up on the internet and I think its Redroot Pigweed. Ive uploaded a photo.

Can anyone confirm what weed this is and what you would recommend to control it?

Many thanks

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/481259=13474-weed n paddock.jpg[/img]

"A dream becomes a goal when steps are taken towards its achievement"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #477898 by zellakanzx
either grub out by hand or spray with toxins.

cheers
rob

More
10 years 5 months ago #477899 by muri
The weed in question is dock. You find dock where there is disturbed soil and its acidic.
My paddocks looked like that when I first moved in but I was able to hand pull it in the wet as my soil is soft and it would just come out. But every bit of root that you leave behind will regrow so grubbing will only stop it seeding but not kill the plant.
Its definitely worth cutting off the seed heads to stop of a proliferation of new plants.
You will have to deal with it how it best suits your philosophy eg with a spray that targets dock or by manually pulling

More
10 years 5 months ago #477900 by Deanna
Buy a couple of 'Grubbers' and when about, have one with you. No different than thistle, and thankfully the sheep eat the dock, well mine do anyway. So once you have grubbed it down, if it comes back up new and fresh the sheep will eat it.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
10 years 5 months ago #477902 by Stikkibeek
Anywhere you are grazing horses, you will get a proliferation of dock. Horses will carry the seed in their tails, and with their rapid digestion, un damaged dock seed will go right through them. Goats give reasonable control also. It is quite easy to tackle with roundup, provided you wait until it is the "rosette' stage. Just a little spot spray in the crown, and it will deal to the dock. To further reduce, add lime to your general manuring programme as it likes sour/acidic soil. If you do have to grub, then follow up on the regrowth with round up.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 5 months ago #477904 by horsemaddaughter
Thanks everyone,

I have a grubber, so that sounds like a job for tomorrow. And we were thinking about getting a goat so that's all good.

And I don't have a problem using Roundup, just wondered - what's the rosette stage.

More
10 years 5 months ago #477909 by LongRidge
With our docks, in the horse paddock/orchard, I have to dig about 2/3 of the root out or the plant just grows again.
The rosette stage is when it is very young, and the leaves lie on the ground.
I really dislike glyphosate (the chemical in RoundUp) in my pasture because it kills the grass much easier than it kills the weed. MCPA is far better at killing dock, buttercup, storksbill, redroot, mallow, thistles and other so-called "flat" weeds. Only use RoundUp on the drive or when you want to spray out grass.
Cattle like dock, but ensure that they have access to a multi-mineral salt block, because the chemical in the dock that makes it poisonous strips minerals from out of the animal that eats the dock.

More
10 years 5 months ago #477910 by horsemaddaughter
Thanks LomgRidge, great advice - I have some thistles as well in my top paddock, so I'll get some of the MCPA and use that as well as grubbing

More
10 years 5 months ago #477912 by zellakanzx
the other option is cut and paste. Carry a machete or scythe and a hand sprayer of chemical -glyph at 50-100ml/lt, hack tops off and spray stump.
Mcpa will remain in soil, spread and kill any clover species too..
Targeted application of the least toxic chemical is my preferred. Glyph will kill the plants it gets on. No more.
Monsanto-roundup should be avoided for ethical reasons.

cheers
rob

More
10 years 5 months ago #477954 by kindajojo
Looks like you also have a lot of buttercup…might be worth getting a soil test done as in the Manawatu you need to lime regularly, buttercup and dock like acidic soils. …We use Hatuma dicalcic it is Mg based and will help if your horses are prone to staggers.

More
10 years 5 months ago #477955 by horsemaddaughter
Thanks everyone, I feel much better informed now and will get started on some pro-active weed control. Good spotting kindajojo as we do have buttercup as well - I'll get a soil test done and appropriate fertiliser applied. Also done some serious research on net on horse paddock management - now I just need to convince my daughter she needs to poo pick more regularly and I'll have to build a composted. Ah - the joys of rural life

More
10 years 5 months ago #477960 by muri
The other joys of using round up is they kill everything around them and not just the target weed. So when the plant dies back there is a large bare patch which is colonised by a host of weeds.
You can tell the round up users as they have more weeds than other people - taking over where spraying has been done

More
10 years 5 months ago #477961 by kai

muri;481330 wrote: The other joys of using round up is they kill everything around them and not just the target weed. So when the plant dies back there is a large bare patch which is colonised by a host of weeds.
You can tell the round up users as they have more weeds than other people - taking over where spraying has been done

that really depends on the intelligence of the person using it. Spot spraying is just that, spraying on spot of the target weed. Random spraying everything in patches of course is not going to have the same effect.

More
10 years 5 months ago #477977 by katieb

horsemaddaughter;481323 wrote: Also done some serious research on net on horse paddock management - now I just need to convince my daughter she needs to poo pick more regularly and I'll have to build a composted. Ah - the joys of rural life

Strip graze the horse paddocks & back fence the parts that have been grazed, you will get better grass growth & wont have to pick up the poo, you should be able to graze the other stock ahead of the horses

I have 10 horses & the only poo I pick up is the stuff in the yards!

Due to the amount of grass I have at the moment & the condition of my horses I have been putting my cows into their paddock a few days before the horses go in to take out some of the feed, I just keep the cows in for a day or 2, then horses in a few days later so the cow poo has dried a little lol

I have a small paddock calves had been in for ages which had gone a bit sour & weedy, so I put the cows in for 1 day, then the sheep for a few days, then the horses for a few days... paddock looks great now...barly any weeds & nice fresh grass which the alpacas & some calves are eating now :)

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 5 months ago #477991 by LongRidge
zellarkanzx, with spot spraying, I've still got plenty of clover after spraying for many years. It takes a long time to get rid of stinging nettle and dock.
kai, with my Solo sprayers, I cannot get a tight enough spray to spray just the leaves of the plant. Now that I've found adjustable nozzles the coverage is much better, but still not good enough to only spray the weed and not hit the grass. With glyphosate the grass dies first , so leaves a spot for weeds to grow. I can't set up my sprayers to not avoid it.

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds