The Amazing Self Destructing Woman

More
8 years 6 months ago #36640 by Seraphs_Folly
So I live pretty happily in a house in Lower Hutt. I also commute nearly an hour each way to my Clydesdale girl. Little horse has just had a colt foal.

This means no grazing for obvious reasons. No agistment place wants a stallion around.

I am strongly committed to breeding this guy to preserve his mum's bloodline - he sadly will be her last and only Clydesdale foal.

If I go lifestyling I have a lot of challenges ahead and the biggest is physical. I am recovering from a broken back and I have something similar to MS. I usually get help to do weekly chores for this reason.

My horses keep me going. I work, but from home.

So can I hack living my dream of a small holding? It'll be tough. I'll be further from my partner in life and with more on my plate. I'll also be in a new community (likely Otaki).

As I said on my forum post I am likely crazy for considering it.

I do know a small amount about small holding — I've lived alongside the ups and downs of the owners where horse grazes for years now. I see that it is tough for able bodied folks.

Maybe some of you would like to share my journey and see what the pratfalls and pitfalls I hit (other than the obvious!) are?

Sally

4 cats, 3 dogs, 7 chickens and 5.2 horses on 11 acres. What could go wrong?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #477194 by Deanna
Well I hope you don't self destruct. You are obviously weighing up all the pros and cons. When I make decisions like this, I always think what could be the worst that can happen. And would I cope with that? I hope the support you do have can continue in some way. All the best.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
8 years 6 months ago #477227 by Seraphs_Folly
That's fantastic advice Deanna, thank you! :)

If I am in the Te Horo region one of my carers would be local to me so it wouldn't be a complete fresh start.

I will keep you posted

More
8 years 5 months ago #478375 by Seraphs_Folly
Going to see 14 properties on Friday! So excited!

More
8 years 5 months ago #478384 by eelcat
That is exciting - looking forward to following your story. OH broke a vertebrae in his back in 2006 and late last year ripped (and destroyed) the last remaining tendon in one shoulder but life is manageable - all about attitude (and sounds like you have that in spades).

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds