Hello from Hunterville

More
8 years 6 months ago #36639 by Richiet_NZ
Hello all,

Richard here from Hunterville in the Rangitikei.

Have had a 10 acre block here for around 10 months now.

We have five horses, two are baby Kaimanawa's, the others are standard breed. Running a couple of calves with possibly some sheep soon. Two chooks for eggs, two dogs for company/security, and two cats for mice control.

All is going well apart from buttercups are taking over the paddocks. I am spot spraying, but with the price of herbicide and the area I have to cover I'm not sure I'll ever get them under control. So any advise here would be ace.

Cheers

Richard and Lisa

9.5 Acres north of Hunterville, five horses, two calves, two dogs, two cats and two chooks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #477195 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Hello from Hunterville
Hi and welcome Richard and Lisa, can't help with buttercups, don't have any, but your right about those costs! What sort of sheep are you thinking about. Self shedders? Or is there someone handy to shear them? My son keeps nagging about calves, I'm still not sure.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
8 years 6 months ago #477197 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Hello from Hunterville
Hi and welcome ...we lived in Hunterville up Turakina Valley for a few years ....loved the area ...and you have the very best Vets in New Zealand[;)]and a great horse Vet there too :D
There are plenty of shearers in the area so don't worry about it if your sheep are not self shedders :D
Buttercup is generally in damp areas ...lime can knock it back ..and sheep seem to make it disappear too :)

Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
8 years 6 months ago #477208 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Hello from Hunterville
Welcome ..plenty of lsbers in the area, must look at another get together in the new year .
We are just down the road at Halcombe.

More
8 years 6 months ago #477232 by belinda_h
Replied by belinda_h on topic Hello from Hunterville
Kakariki here. And am starting to think about another LSB gathering at mine in the New Year. Hope you can make it.
Re buttercups, I seem to remember there's some soil imbalance that encourages them, maybe lack of calcium/lime? Can't be sure, but worth checking out as a good dressing of something that discourages the little sods long term might be a better option than endless spraying.

More
8 years 6 months ago #477238 by Richiet_NZ
Replied by Richiet_NZ on topic Hello from Hunterville
Good to know there are a few more life style block people around the area, being new to this the more answers I get the more questions I have.

Being in the Air Force I can fix just about anything, but but when it comes to land and life stock i have bugger all knowledge.

I will look at getting a soil test done and see what a lime application will cost, possibly even get some a spread it myself by hand. But for the mean time using a back pack sprayer seems to be killing the buttercup, just have to spend the money and buy more herbicide.

I look forward to catching up with you all very soon, still have so many questions.

9.5 Acres north of Hunterville, five horses, two calves, two dogs, two cats and two chooks.

More
8 years 6 months ago #477246 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hello from Hunterville
The best value-for-money herbicide for buttercups, docks, nettles, storksbill, mallow is MCPA in a 20 litre container. Remember that any buttercup killer will also harm most of your garden plants and fruit bushes/trees, so don't let the garden smell the fumes if you spray on a hot and still day.
buttercups are a symptom of "horse-sick" land.
With lime, which is only ground up rock (the correct sort of rock), you need about 1 tonne per hectare to raise the pH by 0.1 units. At the moment the pH is probably about 5.4, so to get it to 6-6.2 you will need 24 to 32 tonnes for your 4h. Lime will not harm non-pregnant animals. In your situation I would get a contractor to put on 12 to 15 tonnes this year, and 12 to 15 next year, then wait 2 years and re-test.
Soil tests cost about $60 through Ravensdown or Ballance. If there is neither of these stores near you, you might need to go to crtFarmlands.

More
8 years 6 months ago #477248 by MouseM
Replied by MouseM on topic Hello from Hunterville
Hello!

More
8 years 6 months ago #477302 by Richiet_NZ
Replied by Richiet_NZ on topic Hello from Hunterville
Have read that MCPA was very effective on buttercup, but was worried as mine had passed the flower formation stage. But I decided to garb a 5 litre bottle of Agritone 750 from Farmlands today, I was using Tordon Pasture Boss, but it was very expensive. Will see how the Agritone goes after a few weeks as the Tordon had noticeable effect after a few days. Will post an update once I have any luck

Will enquire about lime spreading tomorrow, but would like to get the soil tested as soon as I can to make sure I'm not over liming or liming for no reason.

More
8 years 6 months ago #477306 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hello from Hunterville
The hormones make the weeds twist, which on buttercup is a bit hard to see, but on nettles they twist in about 1 hour. I almost always use a spray dye in MCPA and glyphosate to ensure that I've got the weed. Dye is a bit useless in sprays that go cloudy, like Grazon.
Some soils have a naturally high pH but respond well to lime. We were caught out by a leased block that had a pH of 6.2, but the owner limed anyway. The difference was very noticable. So if your results show a high pH, check with the last contractor that spread lime on the property if you have unusual soil. You might find the contractor by telling each one your address and asking if they have done your property before.

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds