6 months in!

More
8 years 6 months ago #36595 by borgi
6 months in! was created by borgi
We have now been here nearly 6 months and have survived an increibly wet winter, and the hideous storms in canterbury. We now own 2 horses, soon to be 3 hopefully, a donkey!! 4 chickens, 3 cats and a dog. The chickens are the thing i like the least! I had always fancied chickens but now find myself just not too into them… but love the eggs of course.
Hardest things- fencing-figuring out electric fences, with no prior knowledge, hedge trimming, we have kms of macrocarpa shelter belt.. and the constant outpouring of money…lawn mowing- we have lots of parkland and our new ride on broke down 6 times, we have had grass coming out of our ears.and i broke my shoulder and have been immobilised for 8 wks…wow, now i may need surgery, can't drive, or even shower myself, isolated...
The best things.. just being here, walking around this amazing place, i love love love this, and every bit has been worthwhile, I'm so pleased we took the plunge, and followed our hearts!
cheers everyone and merry xmas!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #476770 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic 6 months in!
sounds like an eventful first 6 months.. when we moved to our block we jumped in boots and all, not knowing a thing,.we were soon over run with everyones cast off animals.. old chooks, ducks,goats,cows, cats, dogs on top of the 5 horses.... drove us crazy..we soon settled down..
I too am in two minds over the chooks and go through stages of having them, enjoying watching them and the eggs, then getting realy ticked off at the mess and the wrecked garden.. so go another couple of years without them, forget how bad they can be and get more.. doh![;)]

28 years in and wouldn't have it any other way

More
8 years 6 months ago #476773 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic 6 months in!
You have been busy in 6 months! Hope your shoulder comes right. We are a year in and one broken arm down due to exuberant shearing. I'm still loving my chickens, though the free ranging side not always, so I don't always let them out. But their run is 9 metres by 9metres so I don't feel guilty. And it wasn't that they ruined any gardens but we have shingle, and their scraping it all over the veranda was wearing thin. Apart from that I still love em. Our quads broken down twice, and this time we can't get it going so off to the shop it must go. That's going to be a big push up onto the trailer. Here's hoping the 2nd 6 months is smoother for you.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
8 years 6 months ago #476827 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic 6 months in!
if you have the chooks only because of the eggs, why don't you get ducks? they are very different from having chickens, and you might take to them more.

I LOVE my ducks!! - we have Appleyards and Indian Runners

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
8 years 6 months ago #476866 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic 6 months in!
oh yes blueberry, ducks are very different. .they have bigger, splattier poooos :) ..

thanks to a couple of wanderers I now have 2 domestic ducks ( good layers too ) and 7 wild brown ones ( mum and 6 teenagers )..

More
8 years 6 months ago #476945 by Negodil
Replied by Negodil on topic 6 months in!
Hi Borgi, welcome to the forum. That's a tough first 6 months, glad it's not put you off. If you've not already done this, make sure you build good relationships with local farmers. They'll likely be invaluable with advice and also practical help. We think about getting chooks every now and again but never have.I'd love the fresh eggs but if we got a reasonable few chooks, say 6, there's likely to be far too many eggs for us. So we're sticking to breeding alpaca and 1 cat.

Try to look after yourself for the next 6 months.

Fairhaven Alpacas, breeding champion Suri alpaca in Temuka

More
8 years 6 months ago #476965 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic 6 months in!

stephclark;480137 wrote: oh yes blueberry, ducks are very different. .they have bigger, splattier poooos :) ..

QUOTE]

True :D :D - hubby calls them flying pigs :D :D - they can make a mess out of a small space in no time - they need LOTS of space for low impact.

but they are so much fun!!

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds