Hello from nelson..hopefully soon near Motueka

More
10 years 2 months ago #36585 by Yoeddynz
Hi there. Complete newbie around these parts. My name is Alex. My wife Hannah and I are looking to buy a small block of land in the Mot valley area. We spent all day yesterday looking over a 4 hectare bush block and are going back today for some more measuring and planning. Very very excited but also quite nervous as this property buying melarchy is all new to us. Since 1999 we have both been living out of vehicles. Starting with an old transit van I bought when I moved to England for 10 years in '99 after being shocked at rent there while only on bike shop wages. We have slowly moved up the van/truck property market constantly building new ones and are now living in our latest creation we built in 2009 once we got back to NZ. All we want now is a block of land to park it on and call ours. To shape and grow the land and have fun doing so. We have been working hard and saving so have a decent deposit - sadly property is very expensive in nelson/tasman. But we hopefully have found the place we want!

I'll be frequenting this here forum quite a lot I think. So many questions to ask. So much to learn. I throw up some photos of our rolling sauna soon for your interest. It's been a giggle building it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #476704 by MooandPop
Hey dude, I hang around here as well as oldschool.co.nz. We live on a hectare out near Port Waikato. The advice here is invaluable!! Hope the land buying progresses well - lots of work but pretty darn rewarding (most of the time)

DrSassafrass

More
10 years 2 months ago #476715 by tonybaker
Hi Alex, it's worth waiting for the right patch of land. My advice is don't buy hilly or gorse ridden land. Better to have a smaller acreage that you can enjoy without the hassle of those two......and don't think you can make money from a smallish block or rush in and get registered for GST! Rather concentrate on raising your own meat and veggies so as to reduce living costs.

Good luck with your dreams, hope they come to pass - mine did!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
10 years 2 months ago #476778 by wandering free
Hi Alex, Welcome to the Nelson area, you have come to one of the best places on the planet.

What you need above all else is water if you want to grow any crops through the summers, I would put water first, size of property second.

We are in Hope if you are passing, we only have 2 acres and no stock, just trees,

Bryan

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
10 years 2 months ago #476946 by Yoeddynz
Hey guys. Cheers for the replies. Sorry for late reply on my behalf. Hannah's mum skyped and I answered then thought my post would not have been posted.

hello dr sassafrass!!!

In answer to the advice about land size second to water etc. yes we understand this and water has always been top of our list. We are not chasing a large block. But we wanted bush or good enough conditions to grow decent bush. It's nicer to have it in the first place though:-)

We will be aiming to have a food forest. Not that concerned with raising animals (except a couple of cats) although we do hanker for a couple of goats plus chickens. sadly this land wouldn't support two goats. I'd hate to see them enclosed in a small enclosure and it saddens me when I see a goat on a chain.

Not chasing carbon credits either. We just like bush and love mountain biking so could build a little network of fun trails. Plus we have this dream of a model steam train up through the bush. But that's way off....

The gorse and brambles are only bad where it had been cleared for vehicle tracks and parking. It used to have a few people living there in caravans. The caravans are still there...a bit many and full of junk.

We are off to the council tomorrow to get some more advice about all sorts of things. Not just related to this property but anything we look at. Composting toilets, reed beds, water tank sizes, new consent laws in this area due to slippages etc. so much to learn but it's very fun.

We will then be staying on the property over the weekend and have another good look about plus get a feel for things. I want to see how we feel there.
Nothing is set yet but it's exciting looking.

Alex

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds