Manawatu noobies here

More
10 years 5 months ago #36546 by Shaqa
Manawatu noobies here was created by Shaqa
Hi everyone. My partner and me have just bought a small lifestyle block on the outshirts of Feilding. I have limited experince lifestyling but my partner is a true noobie.
We are both looking forward to learning more about this sort of style, maybe raising a cow or two or maybe a sheep or two.

Regards
N and M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #476359 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Manawatu noobies here
Hi Shaqa and welcome. How much land will you have, is it flat or not? Now begins your great learning curve. Wish I had started a blog, of the funny stories I have. See you around.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
10 years 5 months ago #476362 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Manawatu noobies here
:) welcome :) ... lol i am in Feilding with my dogs and my sheep and goats are ouut at Awahuri :) .. if you need a hand with anything , or animal stuff like drench and things just yell eh :) :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
10 years 5 months ago #476366 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Manawatu noobies here
Hi we are in the sunny township of Halcombe , Stu is great and will, give your a hand with most thing...by they way Stu..you any good at steering a calf.....
Welcome to this site ...there is lots of good ideas or at least you feel your not the only one who doesn't know what they are doing..[xx(][xx(]

More
10 years 5 months ago #476368 by Stu_R
:) if you have a good sized escalator Jo yep i will give it a go .. lol my sheep one wouldn't open big enough :(

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :

More
10 years 5 months ago #476370 by kindajojo
Have done with the sheep on but might need something bigger..see what I can beg borrow or steal..let you know

More
10 years 5 months ago #476372 by Remrem
Replied by Remrem on topic Manawatu noobies here
Hey Jo, Colin did our two boy calves last weekend. Bit of a squeeze and he wouldn't have wanted to leave them much longer - they were 8 and 11 weeks old. How old is your calf? Is it the belted galloway out of your highland? He could swing by one evening and help out.

Welcome Shaqa!!!! We're a friendly bunch - both on the board and in the manawatu/rangitikei. Our place is out on SH1 between bulls and marton. Everyone on the board is doing something a little bit different so heaps to learn from and lots of experience :)

Farming on The Main Drag in the Rangitikei since Feb 2013

More
10 years 5 months ago #476405 by Shaqa
Replied by Shaqa on topic Manawatu noobies here
Morning all and thanks for the welcome in.
We have a couple of acres, not huge but certainly manageable.
Im living currently at Glen oroua and need to get a one yr old heifer from there to the new place outside Feilding. She a bit young still for the BBQ so that is not an option.
I have considered a horse float.
Any other ideas?

Cheers
Neil

More
10 years 5 months ago #476439 by Stu_R
Horse float good idea ... see what Pedleys transport will charge you to do it with one of their small trucks .. they are based out your way somewhere i think :).. they have some good small trucks :)

More
10 years 5 months ago #476446 by kindajojo

Remrem;479580 wrote: Hey Jo, Colin did our two boy calves last weekend. Bit of a squeeze and he wouldn't have wanted to leave them much longer - they were 8 and 11 weeks old. How old is your calf? Is it the belted galloway out of your highland? He could swing by one evening and help out.

Welcome Shaqa!!!! We're a friendly bunch - both on the board and in the manawatu/rangitikei. Our place is out on SH1 between bulls and marton. Everyone on the board is doing something a little bit different so heaps to learn from and lots of experience :)

Thanks I will get them in at the weekend they are midi's and need tagged etc, one of the mums is CC crazy cow a highland with horns …as soon as son in weaned she is in the freezer just took unstable to have around…not sure what she will do when juniors in the yards, luckily they are solid but I still think she would try and jump the deer fence. Junior is 6 weeks

More
10 years 5 months ago #476510 by Shaqa
Cheers Stu...I will see what Pedleys have, or can do. I think the biggest challenge if actually getting her into a truck or horse float

More
10 years 4 months ago #477737 by 3 girls farming
Hi .. welcome.

If you can borrow the horse float for a few days.. put it in a small area (electric fencing might be useful) with water and hay just at the entrance to it... keep moving the water and hay back in the float so she needs to go in further and further and eventually the animal will get used to it... the tricky thing will be shutting the back up without a freak out.. you may need someone in the front of the float (presuming it has that protected area at the front for safety) to keep talking and feeding her... bread is also popular with my animals and used in this situation... good luck.. but be careful too...

More
10 years 4 months ago #477896 by horsemaddaughter
Hi Shaqa,

Like you my daughter and I are new to this - we moved into 18.5 acres near Rongotea this March. Mostly for my daughter's horses, but also now have 2 sheep and 2 calves arriving tomorrow. One of the horses is a rescue mini who's very pregnant - so steep learning curve ahead (the other horses are geldings, all sport horses for show jumping).

Still learning, and there is always so much to do... but loving it (mostly).

"A dream becomes a goal when steps are taken towards its achievement"

More
10 years 4 months ago #477907 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Manawatu noobies here
Hi hmd. I've not foaled horse, but have had many donkeys foal on our property. One of the things with donkeys, and probably horses, is that the membrane around the baby is very strong and thick. If this does not break very soon after the foals nose is out of the vagina then the foal can suffocate or drown in placental fluid. So if you happen to see her foaling, don't be scared to help the horse, and to break the membrane. But remember to be very careful when the foal has been born - some mums get very aggressive protecting foal.
And keep the stallion or jack away from the foaled mother. She will be fertile about 7 days after birth.

More
10 years 4 months ago #477930 by Shaqa
I think it might be easier to have her H-K'd early next year.....maybe Feb/Mar.
We can then look at getting another weaned heifer or steer and some sheep/lambs, maybe Wiltshire's.

Jojo....do you or will you have any Wiltshire lambs Feb/mar?

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds