Finally taken the plunge.

More
8 years 7 months ago #36484 by SamDouglas
Just purchased a 3 acre property in Peka Peka and gonna be frequenting here more often than just the occasional lurking around threads :)

Going to be looking at options for Greenhouse, ducks vs chickens, ideas for fruit trees and protecting them from coastal winds and tips on propagating native trees to plant out the section to keep the mowing down :)

So helloo and thanks in advance for tolerating what are likely to be rather basic questions :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #475822 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Finally taken the plunge.
Welcome from just up the road from you at Ohau. Congratulations on your purchase. We've got heaps of native seedlings popping up around the place which you are welcome to come up and pot up if you like! Totaras, lemonwoods, kowhai, coprosma. I pull them out like weeds and still have plenty!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
8 years 7 months ago #475828 by SamDouglas

Sue;478967 wrote: Welcome from just up the road from you at Ohau. Congratulations on your purchase. We've got heaps of native seedlings popping up around the place which you are welcome to come up and pot up if you like! Totaras, lemonwoods, kowhai, coprosma. I pull them out like weeds and still have plenty!

May take you up on that once we've settled in if thats ok :)

i am gonna take the first few weeks/months to get familiar with the landscape and the wind patterns etc so i have a better understanding of where to put what etc.

Move in in 2 weeks - getting excited :)

More
8 years 7 months ago #475831 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Finally taken the plunge.
Hi Sam and welcome. Very exciting indeed. Next month its been a year for us. Great learning curve. Enjoy and have a safe shift and see you around.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
8 years 7 months ago #475935 by RichardW
Replied by RichardW on topic Finally taken the plunge.
Hi Sam and welcome.
I grow lots of natives but grow them from seed i collect myself,ive found it better than moving seedlings as native dont transplant well if they are to tall

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

More
8 years 7 months ago #475938 by Sue
Agree about transplanting natives RW but we have found if you pot them up when a few inches high, and transplant from the pot, carefully, when a bit bigger, then most survive! Once plants like lemonwoods and kowhais are over 50cm they dont like to be moved from the ground very much.. However the quantities of seedlings and bigger we have popping up everywhere, it's worth a try if just some make it!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
8 years 7 months ago #475939 by RichardW
Replied by RichardW on topic Finally taken the plunge.
yes, when small it ok

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

More
8 years 7 months ago #476358 by SamDouglas
So you folks planting from seed - do you recommend getting a greenhouse or is a sheltered part of the garden enough? (we dont have a garage in the new place yet)

More
8 years 7 months ago #476360 by Sue
We've grown from seed without a glasshouse, kowhais and cabbage trees are easy!

Sue

More
8 years 6 months ago #476377 by ZummersetGirl
As I have only been on our pico plot for just over a year I don't have much to offer except welcome and you will enjoy your land and animals :) as to ducks v chickens - why not both. We have 5 chickens and 2 ducks and I could watch them for hours - they are great ! Trying to get rid of the ducks eggs is proving a bit of a challenge as most of my townie friends don't like the thought of eating ducks eggs - go figure :confused: they make fantastic sponges but I can't eat that much cake :D :D

More
8 years 6 months ago #476486 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Finally taken the plunge.
Just use duck eggs as you would hen eggs. They are delicious fried in a lttle bit of beef dripping.

More
8 years 6 months ago #476681 by Falcons Rest
They poach well too!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wiltshires, Beefies, Boers, Captain Cookers, Muscovies, assorted Chooks, 2 cats & a confused dog........ No suprise the cats are in charge.:p

More
8 years 6 months ago #476940 by Negodil
Replied by Negodil on topic Finally taken the plunge.
Hi Sam and welcome. You should certainly learn a lot from this forum.

Fairhaven Alpacas, breeding champion Suri alpaca in Temuka

More
8 years 6 months ago #476964 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Finally taken the plunge.

igor;479707 wrote: Just use duck eggs as you would hen eggs. They are delicious fried in a lttle bit of beef dripping.

Best scrambled eggs ever!!
chop and fry some veges, add a bit of bacon, throw in a couple beaten up duck eggs = dinner!

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
8 years 5 months ago #478179 by SamDouglas
Thanks for all the responses - ive moved in to the new place and FINALLY got internet access setup - 3 weeks of no Internet and I am getting the shakes :)

Going to start looking into propagating natives from seed and getting some chickens so expect to see me a lot more on these forums - even if it is just lurking :)

Cheers!

Sam

Time to create page: 0.234 seconds