the start of our adventure!

More
8 years 7 months ago #36415 by chrisandamanda
Hi all, my partner and I will be moving into our new house in Waitoki on thursday...we have 4 acres and will be starting our own little family of animals starting with a few cows. Look forward to asking for lots of advice from all you experienced types out there over the coming months and years!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #475226 by Del
Replied by Del on topic the start of our adventure!
Good luck for the move and your new adventure! The group here is very helpful and an endless source of great info :D

More
8 years 7 months ago #475238 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic the start of our adventure!
Hi Chris, and welcome, only been at it 11 months myself, and loving it. Get to know your neighbours, in other words, act country not townie and the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask. All the best.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
8 years 7 months ago #475311 by kaiapoi-ken
I have to agree with Deanna, work with your country neighbours and don't try and bring townie ideas with you. We have been on our block for nearly 40 years and now have neighbours on other blocks around us who have been here about 4 years. They are causing a bit of aggro' by trying to get things changed to suit their ideas of how it should be. Needless to say they are not getting much cooperation from "locals". That's not to say we "oldies" are always right but we have lived in the area long enough to know it's foibles and pitfalls.

More
8 years 7 months ago #475318 by Flossie
Replied by Flossie on topic the start of our adventure!
Good luck and enjoy! it's hard work and can be very frustrating, you will also have an endless list of to-do's but boy can you have some fun.

We are nearly two years on and love it.

~Flossie~

More
8 years 7 months ago #475330 by igor
Replied by igor on topic the start of our adventure!
We get on fine with all our neighbours, real farmers and otherwise, except one who is not the owner but a manager employed by a corporate entity. He's a complete dick. I think he has a bit of a complex because everyone around him owns their place while he owns nothing and could be gone tomorrow if his employer so chooses.
Wish you luck Chris and Amanda.

More
8 years 7 months ago #475486 by bevhawkins
Hi there, I am in waitoki too! Where in Waitoki are you?

More
8 years 3 months ago #482824 by chrisandamanda
Hi Bev, just through Waitoki heading to KKK, 2nd road on the right :)

More
8 years 3 months ago #482877 by manymules
Fabulous. You've found one of your locals already. :-) Have a blast, ask loads of questions, and enjoy your slice of heaven. I'm envious you've got the space for cows. Stupid here didn't think she'd ever be able to cope with the idea of living off the 4 legged aspects of the land and only bought less than an acre. I long for more land now but am stuck......am working up the courage to enter negotiations with our very good country neighbour about maybe adding 2 more mouths to his paddocks if it meant he didn't have to buy weaners. I swear everything ends up being a "work in progress" but I love this new life of ours, and I'm so grateful to have found this incredible online community.

Learning a little bit every day. Loving life. [:D]

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds