Newbie in Northland

More
8 years 7 months ago #36382 by Craig70
Newbie in Northland was created by Craig70
Hi All

Craig here, originally from Scotland, met my Kiwi wife on a blind date and now have a 2 1/2 year old boy.

Moved to Kerikeri, my wife hails from here, to a two plus acre block. So not quiet lifestyle just a big b**dy garden with lots of work to do in it. I have cleared some gorse and trees to put in a 1/4 ish acre paddock and put our 6 month old ram in it. Now I am keen to do some more clearing and get a couple of ewes and chickens and quite fancy a couple of pigs....if we have enough land and I can convince the wife to go off grid!

I have lots of questions!!

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #474742 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Newbie in Northland
Welcome aboard Craig and Mrs Craig. If your boundary fence is good enough you might consider a few goats as well as free-ranging the pigs. Between them they will take care of the deforestation for you and plough the ground too.

More
8 years 7 months ago #474821 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Newbie in Northland
Welcome. Pigs love lamb chops and eggs, for breakfast, lunch and tea if possible. They enjoy them raw, but legally it must be cooked for them.
We had a pig, and I almost trained her to round up the sheep. But when she tried to eat the dog she had to go. Especially as she could get through all my netting and wire fences.

More
8 years 7 months ago #474826 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Newbie in Northland
Hi and welcome. Your six-month old ram is a new purchase, or did you bottle-rear him?

More
8 years 7 months ago #474833 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Newbie in Northland
Hi Craig and welcome. You are in a lovely area, I have been there once. Do you have a Tui population around your property? And have you seen any Kiwi? I envy having those birds around. I'd like pigs too, but would want a trusty set up before I'd contemplate it.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
8 years 7 months ago #475879 by Craig70
Replied by Craig70 on topic Newbie in Northland
Hi All

Thanks for the responses. I like the idea of pigs and goats doing the work for me but I think I will need to work on my fencing skills first.
Deanna, we have some Tui when the flax are flowering but not all year. We do have kiwi on the property and my son loves to hunt for the holes in the ground made by the worm searching on our 'lawn'.
Ruth, we bottle fed the ram and he is now accustomed to being behind the fence, he comes when called for scratches and fleece detwigging.
Igor, my new puppie, six month old lab X has made friends with the ram and pokes her head throught the fence to for a friendly licking
Cheers

More
8 years 7 months ago #475894 by Ruth

Craig70;479027 wrote: ...Ruth, we bottle fed the ram and he is now accustomed to being behind the fence, he comes when called for scratches and fleece detwigging....

He's very nice now, but it would be foolhardy to keep that ram into his adulthood. People get seriously injured and sometimes even killed by rams, usually past pets, sometimes just quiet enough not to be afraid of people. This is a serious warning from one who was only just not killed by a quiet ram raised by his tame mother. Others have their own, similar stories.

They're fast, powerful and extremely dangerous!

More
8 years 7 months ago #475896 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Newbie in Northland
Hi and welcome! We enjoyed a white Christmas with friends in Scotland whilst living in England, it is a lovely memory!

I would second Ruths comments re the ram. The best advise I could give would be to sell him to someone to eat, or to use on a big sheep farm where he will not be near people. The thought of a tame ram near a toddler is enough to make my skin crawl...they can fatally unjure a fully grown man just by being territorial once the hormones kick in.

No criticism of you, many people new to sheep do not realise how dangerous tame rams are.

More
8 years 7 months ago #475904 by Ruth

More
6 years 6 months ago #516638 by Craig70
Replied by Craig70 on topic Newbie in Northland
Hi Guys
I just revisited this topic and wanted to say thanks again. The ram kept on escaping my feeble fencing, it is now my dog run. He, the ram, escaped and attacked the, adjoining Kiwi fruit orchards, owner and manager. I called the manager to apologies and offered the ram for sausages. He was delicious. Never again with a ram, ill conceived 'gift' from well-meaning friends.
Cheers
Craig

More
6 years 6 months ago #516645 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Newbie in Northland
With ram lambs that are being bottle fed, they must, as in MUST, be castrated. They are then "wethers", and in my quite long experience are nice, well behaved guys that can be used as a Judas sheep, or as company for the ram. But be careful that the tame wether does not make the ram tame.
With sheep, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, so they are always looking for ways to get to the other side of the fence. But ..... some are much worse than the others, so if you can shoot the leader/s as it or they get through the fence, you can, if you are lucky, end up with a flock of sheep that don't push through fences.

More
6 years 6 months ago #516650 by Ruth

Craig70 wrote: Hi Guys
I just revisited this topic and wanted to say thanks again. The ram kept on escaping my feeble fencing, it is now my dog run. He, the ram, escaped and attacked the, adjoining Kiwi fruit orchards, owner and manager. I called the manager to apologies and offered the ram for sausages. He was delicious. Never again with a ram, ill conceived 'gift' from well-meaning friends.
Cheers
Craig

Thanks for the update. I hope your dog-run fencing got an upgrade as well, or you'll learn another of the "lifestyle lessons" before long!
Always beware the "free" animal; they almost always cost you in the end. I'm sorry we get to say "I told you so" but glad you were forewarned of the danger so could act quickly!

More
6 years 5 months ago #517359 by Leonie
Replied by Leonie on topic Newbie in Northland
Hi Craig & family. Welcome to Northland :)

'REGRET IS A DULL AND RUSTED BLADE'

More
5 years 11 months ago #523470 by Hippychick
Replied by Hippychick on topic Newbie in Northland
Ruth I love your website, Ive been engrossed reading your daily diary & love the pics that compliment the dialogue Thank you for sharing your life.

More
5 years 11 months ago #523483 by Ruth
Thank you. :)

Time to create page: 0.237 seconds