One of the littlest lifestylers says hello

More
10 years 6 months ago #36299 by manymules
Hi all
I've been devouring this forum for the last year and a half since moving to the bay of islands from Auckland. Regretting not getting more land but am patiently building up relations with our good neighbour. Hopefully one day soon he'll let me share just a little corner. ;-)

We moved here with 3 dogs (The Men) and 3 cats . Very quickly we added 6 hyline chooks (The Girls) which is when I found you lot online :-). Immediately felt guilty that I hadn't acquired some "real" chickens, but I love reading your stories. Husband has absolutely forbidden a rooster. Spoil sport. Six months ago I acquired 2 female goats (The Misses) who are my pride and joy. Again LSB came to the rescue. I'd read up what I could before getting the misses but reading your past experiences helped me breath easy. Their hooves had never been done so it's been a long 6 months getting them trimmed to a better shape. Slowly, surely. Injections were hilarious. I love my local, and very patient, vet. More fun is about to begin as I'm likely collecting 2 Wiltshire ladies (a mum and here ewe lamb) to add to the brood. I'm pretty certain I'll have to supplement feed come late summer and mid winter, so you'll be hearing from me for sure....just to get reassurance that I'm doing ok. Husband just rolls his eyes and accepts that his mad wife is loving this country life. :-)

Learning a little bit every day. Loving life. [:D]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #473871 by tonic
Hi and welcome, sounds like you are enjoying your new life. Don't worry, Hylines are as much 'real' chickens as any others! I love our wiltshires, and an currently considering getting a couple of goats for milking...just discovered my children don't tolerate dairy so trying to work out if they need to go off raw dairy also for a while as their digestive systems heal again, so much for waiting impatiently for my house cow to calve!

More
10 years 6 months ago #473888 by Blueberry

tonic;476802 wrote: Hi and welcome, sounds like you are enjoying your new life. Don't worry, Hylines are as much 'real' chickens as any others! I love our wiltshires, and an currently considering getting a couple of goats for milking...just discovered my children don't tolerate dairy so trying to work out if they need to go off raw dairy also for a while as their digestive systems heal again, so much for waiting impatiently for my house cow to calve!

you could always milk your wiltshires - or get some "real' milk sheep :D :D [8D]

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
10 years 6 months ago #473895 by Mousewhisker
Hi Little Lifestyler, welcome. How much land do you have? Sympathize with you about the rooster - I've managed to persuade the rest of the family (with great difficulty) to let me have one once we get some land, on the condition that the chook run is positioned at the furthest possible point from the house :D :D

More
10 years 6 months ago #473898 by tonic

Blueberry;476821 wrote: you could always milk your wiltshires - or get some "real' milk sheep :D :D [8D]

Hee hee, that's an idea! However, the point of the Wiltshires is for me to avoid things like shearing.... How much does a Wiltshire produce I wonder....

More
10 years 6 months ago #474030 by manymules
I'm going to read now about milking sheep. ;-)

More
10 years 6 months ago #474031 by manymules
I'm going to read now about milking sheep. ;-)

More
10 years 6 months ago #474032 by manymules
Mousewhisker....we've only got an acre but am encouraging neighbour to share. ;-) He's got 5 acres and only 3 cows.

More
10 years 6 months ago #474047 by reggit
Good luck milking a mature Wiltshire, they produce plenty of milk, some have enormous udders, but they also have very definite ideas about who should get that milk...and that doesn't include humans who try fiddling about with them :) and they hurt when they kick [;)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
10 years 6 months ago #474064 by stephclark
on the subject of roos.. I don't get the objection :confused:... I love my roos crowing .. one lives in a tree behind the house ( close ) and he starts at around 4am, I lay in bed smiling while another dawn is heralded..

I lay there till about 6am listening to all the roos down the valley wake up and start crowing, wonderful way to start the day :D

ok so some years back I had 3 roos that slept on the hand rail of the deck outside my bedroom.. now 3 all going that close was abit much, but I did get good at throwing slippers out the window at them :D

More
10 years 6 months ago #474099 by Deanna

stephclark;477020 wrote: on the subject of roos.. I don't get the objection :confused:... I love my roos crowing .. one lives in a tree behind the house ( close ) and he starts at around 4am, I lay in bed smiling while another dawn is heralded..

I lay there till about 6am listening to all the roos down the valley wake up and start crowing, wonderful way to start the day :D

ok so some years back I had 3 roos that slept on the hand rail of the deck outside my bedroom.. now 3 all going that close was abit much, but I did get good at throwing slippers out the window at them :D

Agree I love hearing my 4 Roos, and yes sometimes at 4am. Only one really annoys me sometimes is the silkie that does it half the day over and over again. I hear myself, saying 'Shut Up Clyde, shut up Clyde. :eek:

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
10 years 6 months ago #474114 by manymules
Reggit....i jest about milking a sheep. I think she'd kick me from here to the neighbour's paddock! I was curious about it though. I've looked into house cow (on neighbour's property) and written the idea off. I've looked into getting one of my very tame pet goats with kid and milking her......we'll play it by ear, see how I cope with sheep AND goats, then rethink it all over again. No hurry.

More
10 years 6 months ago #474135 by Mousewhisker
Yes I love hearing them crow too, it's just the light sleepers in our family who don't appreciate 4am concerts! Well, neither do I actually, when it's right outside the window.
All the best with your goats and sheep, LL, and good luck with your 'neighbour encouragement' plan :D :D

More
10 years 6 months ago #474351 by clemclan

Little Lifestyler;476800 wrote: Hi all
I've been devouring this forum for the last year and a half since moving to the bay of islands from Auckland. Regretting not getting more land but am patiently building up relations with our good neighbour. Hopefully one day soon he'll let me share just a little corner. ;-)

We moved here with 3 dogs (The Men) and 3 cats . Very quickly we added 6 hyline chooks (The Girls) which is when I found you lot online :-). Immediately felt guilty that I hadn't acquired some "real" chickens, but I love reading your stories. Husband has absolutely forbidden a rooster. Spoil sport. Six months ago I acquired 2 female goats (The Misses) who are my pride and joy. Again LSB came to the rescue. I'd read up what I could before getting the misses but reading your past experiences helped me breath easy. Their hooves had never been done so it's been a long 6 months getting them trimmed to a better shape. Slowly, surely. Injections were hilarious. I love my local, and very patient, vet. More fun is about to begin as I'm likely collecting 2 Wiltshire ladies (a mum and here ewe lamb) to add to the brood. I'm pretty certain I'll have to supplement feed come late summer and mid winter, so you'll be hearing from me for sure....just to get reassurance that I'm doing ok. Husband just rolls his eyes and accepts that his mad wife is loving this country life. :-)

Your husband sounds like mine! He rolls his eyes a lot too when I keep adding to the poultry livestock and he hates our Rooster and now we have two! Well to be fair he is getting better and he did build all the coops for me, bless him.

Well you sound like you're really enjoying yourself - good for you! I hope your country life blossoms :)

PS. I would love to see your neck of the woods up there! I have a friend who visited last year and she loved it.

- Freelance Proofreader, Editor & Writer

chickens, ducks, dog, cat and guinea pigs! [;)]

More
10 years 6 months ago #474354 by Ruth
When your partners have adopted the poultry as their own, you'll know you've 'made it'. [;)]

Clemclan, you'll need to go further north than that: get into the real wild far north! :D

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds