Experienced help needed!

More
8 years 7 months ago #36298 by NJS
Experienced help needed! was created by NJS
Hi all, we've just purchased a small LSB in Waikuku, North of ChCh. Just over an acre in size. Water supply for irrigation is going to be an issue. Does anyone have any advice on how best to accumulate and store enough water to irrigate our section? We want to establish some perimeter trees while the house is being built but the council supply is only 2000 l per day on a trickle feed. We were considering drilling for water and sharing with our neighbours...?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #473862 by KaiapoiKen
Replied by KaiapoiKen on topic Experienced help needed!
I would suggest that, before you consider drilling, talk to other people in the area who have wells already. It may be that the water quality may not be up to much even if you do strike water. Some friends who bought up your way put in a well without doing any checks and finished up with water that had a high saline content and the water was no good. Even when they had the well sunk deeper it was barely drinkable and the cost of deepening was huge. Sharing the cost of drilling is one way out but do your homework amongst the locals first. They will have a better idea of what to expect than any of the companies that do the drilling.

More
8 years 7 months ago #473919 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Experienced help needed!
Check with the Council that you will be permitted to irrigate if you do find water. Up here we do not need a permit for stock and household water, but do if we have a very big lawn or a paddock.

More
8 years 7 months ago #473928 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Experienced help needed!
As LR says, and probably you could be charged for you own water that you use for irrigation if its not used for stock
People I know here bought the neighbouring property just to get the water that was on it to use for their crops and stock.
The outlet has two meters on it, and they have to pay on the water taken that is not for their stock and they own the water

More
8 years 7 months ago #473930 by LongRidge
muri, unfortunately we do not own water that is on or over or under our land, just as we don't own the radio waves, aeroplane air space, oxygen, or minerals under the surface. That means that the neighbour cannot sue us if the floodwater that came from our place floods him. And we cannot invoice Townies for the oxygen that our grass and trees produce :-(.

More
8 years 7 months ago #473967 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic Experienced help needed!
Check with council as to what you have to have on site for firefighting purposes too. Lots of people put in tanks then pay waimak council $150 to take the restrictor out for a couple of days to fill the tank in a hurry.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

More
8 years 7 months ago #474104 by LongRidge
Aquila, good point. Up here there has to be at least 25000 litres storage on site. Up here, the drip feed into the tank is calibrated to deliver the permitted amount of water evenly over the 24 hours. When the tank gets full, there is a stopcock on the inlet to reduce wastage.
The distance around your boundary will be about 280 meters, so 140 trees plus 60 others, needing 20 litres per day is 4000 litres. So 25,000 L with last for 12 days, so I would get two 25,000 L tanks if I were doing your plan.
But .... I would not plant many trees until you are certain that you need them. There were lots of trees here when we arrived, and I've planted lots more. I've now got far too many, in the wrong places, and kinds that will harm grazing animals.

More
8 years 7 months ago #474107 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Experienced help needed!
We bought a tanker load of water initially to fill our tanks

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
8 years 7 months ago #474110 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic Experienced help needed!
Normally you have trickle feed here too but if you need to get tanks full in a hurry, you can for a price. I install irrigation for a living now, we also hook up Wells, tanks and pumps on lifestyle blocks. 20 liters a tree is a bit much, we shoot for 4 liters an hour every other or third day

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds