Shacklock no. 2 Orion Stove

More
8 years 8 months ago #36208 by dontravers
Hello, I live on the island of Tubuai, French Polynesia. Years ago a New Zealand immigrant gave me a dismantled Shacklock no. 2 Orion wood burning stove when he moved to Moorea. It is not in very good condition and would not be practical to use for cooking in our situation. I want to put it together and incorporate it into a workspace island in our large kitchen/dining area. I would like to obtain plans to help me put it all together. There are a total of 23 pieces some of which I imagine I would not need to use. I could probably figure it out but do not want to do a lot of trial and error because the pieces are heavy and liable to breakage if dropped. I would also welcome some advice on painting. The pieces have been wire brushed and painted four times over the years and at present they are ugly flat black steel primer coated. Hope somebody can help me out. I would like to get it together and installed by Christmas when all our family visits from Tahiti. Sincerely, an American living on the island of Tubuai since 1976, Don TRAVERS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #472963 by stephclark
hi there

when you say you want to put it in an island in the kitchen.. just as a feature? or do you want to be able to use it..
do you have any pics that you can post.. if there are broken fire tiles or major cracks in the body, it may take a lot to get it to working stage again...
do you have the body bolts?.. there should be four.. as for painting.. well I wouldn't have, I took on a no. 1 that had been painted black.. heck of a job to burn all that off before wire brushing and stove black.. the no. 0 that I use gets a rub down with oil when I am too lazy to get the stove black onto it..
cant imagine there would be many in Tahiti.. have you also tried googling the shacklock orion.. they are all basically the same..

More
8 years 6 months ago #476632 by dontravers
Sorry, I got busy with family issues, a trip to Tahiti, then visits and did not get back on to this site until now. Thank you for commenting. I certainly do not intend to try to but this stove together and use it as it was originally built for. But I believe if handled correctly it could be an attractive part of our large kitchen as a work platform and storage. I was just hoping there may be some original plans showing how to put it together. I have tired googling shacklock orion and have just found some for sale and basic historical info, no source for plans to put it all together. I would imagine when these stoves were sold some were shipped to the buyers completely dismantled and it would seem to me they must have had printed instructions on how to put them together.Thanks again, stephclark, I will get back on this site weekly in case you have any info for me. Sincerely, Don TRAVERS

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds