Moving back to the land

More
10 years 6 months ago #36155 by debsi
Hi everyone
I posted here a few times back in 2009 when I lived in the Rangitikei on 9 acres - have since been back working in the city but my man and I have recently bought a place just north of Palmerston North - 2 acres this time. We have a few paddocks desperately needing some sheep - or perhaps cattle to get the grass down, so if anyone needs some grazing please let me know!....and I see there are some locals here (Feilding/PN/Manawatu) - so you might know of someone.
There was someone grazing their sheep on the land before, but calls and texts to them are not getting any responses...

The plan is to put in more fruit trees, grow herbs/veges etc and have some chooks, possibly goats and sheep, and to plant an area with some native trees. The house needs work too. But first we will be getting in more shelter belt trees and getting the grazing sorted.
Having studied permaculture and horticulture I'm looking forward to putting into practice some of the things I've learnt, and also learning some more from this site!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472483 by 3 girls farming
Stu might be interested... send him a PM perhaps..

More
10 years 6 months ago #472509 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Moving back to the land
This just a temp thing till the grass is down , or may be longer term ? is it set up for water for the animals ?
I live in Feilding, and have a few sheep at Awahuri .. depending on where your land is and the water thing and how long a term , might have some sheep that could go there
send me a PM if you like :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
10 years 6 months ago #472538 by Del
Replied by Del on topic Moving back to the land
Welcome back :D your set up and plans sound pretty similar to ours, so look forward to hearing how you're getting on. Good luck in tracking down some lawnmowers - it's amazing how quickly sheep go through pasture, so be careful not to overstock!

More
10 years 6 months ago #472552 by debsi
Replied by debsi on topic Moving back to the land
Thanks Del - and Stu, have sent you a PM. Definitely don't need too many sheep - perhaps 3-4 - but if we don't find some woolly lawnmowers soon we will have someone round in a few months to cut it for silage!

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds