New Chick on the Block

More
8 years 8 months ago #36128 by Pabkat
Hi. We've recently moved onto 4.5 acres in Ardmore. We have two anglo nubian boys, 17 chooks, a budgie, 3 cats and a golden retriever. We are planning to get into poultry raising/breeding and have just set our broody SLW on some Australorp eggs :D . We are loving every minute of our new lifestyle and will never move back to the city. We are learning a lot from the post here on LSB and look forward to learning a whole lot more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #472183 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic New Chick on the Block
Welcome. Out of interest, there used to be a law on how many chooks you could run before you needed a licence. Does that still stand?
Remember that you cannot sell meat that has been homekilled.

More
8 years 8 months ago #472191 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic New Chick on the Block
LR, to answer your question, you can keep up to 100 head of poultry, before you need an RMP ( an inspection programme) in order to be able to sell eggs to the public. Below that number anyone is allowed to keep poultry and sell eggs to friends and at the farm gate, as long as the local council restrictions are observed.

RMP is a risk management programme concerning food safety.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
8 years 8 months ago #473317 by Pabkat
Replied by Pabkat on topic New Chick on the Block
:D Our flock has expanded. Over the weekend our first chicks hatched! We have two five toed Dorking babies. We were surprised as we honestly thought they weren't viable as our "broody" changed her mind :confused:. It took a while to find and buy another one. We bought some Australorp eggs for her to sit on just in case. Our SLW is doing a great job with the 2 chicks and is still sitting on the remaining eggs. Being new to the poultry game, Can anyone tell me if she is likely to stop sitting and what the viability of eggs are if she stops? Should I remove the chicks and have them fostered by another hen? Cheers, Pabkat.

More
8 years 8 months ago #473364 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic New Chick on the Block
Welcome Pabcat, only been doing it 10 months and no going back either. I learn so much in here. Started with 12 chooks and now have 46 and 8 chicks and 10 eggs 7 days away from hatching. Sorry can't answer your question though, as I have been very lucky with my broodies so far. I Look forward to hearing about your enjoyment in the future.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
8 years 8 months ago #473488 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic New Chick on the Block

Pabkat;476192 wrote: :D Our flock has expanded. Over the weekend our first chicks hatched! We have two five toed Dorking babies. We were surprised as we honestly thought they weren't viable as our "broody" changed her mind :confused:. It took a while to find and buy another one. We bought some Australorp eggs for her to sit on just in case. Our SLW is doing a great job with the 2 chicks and is still sitting on the remaining eggs. Being new to the poultry game, Can anyone tell me if she is likely to stop sitting and what the viability of eggs are if she stops? Should I remove the chicks and have them fostered by another hen? Cheers, Pabkat.

hens will often sit for a few more days after chicks have hatched. They know that eggs will not hatch to same day.
If she does abandon them and you can get them back to some warm place, (or under another broody) they may still hatch. You may be able to graft them back under their sitting "mum" as long as too many days don't go by. If all else fails, we are not far from you and my incubator is not in use for the next few weeks.

Wyandottes make excellent mothers.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 7 months ago #473624 by Pabkat
Our SLW Wanda, is proving to be a super Mum. :D She raising the two Dorking chicks as well as sitting on the Australorp eggs. They are due to hatch this weekend (finger crossed).
We added another Hen (a Welsummer) with her 9 chicks (look like Welsummer/Barnevelder cross), she has tried to add the Dorkings to her brood but Wanda won't allow it! She is quite aggressively protective. [}:)]
So, instead of doing the garden this weekend, we are building a new nursery pen for our newbie and her chicks. [;)]

More
8 years 7 months ago #473809 by Pabkat
Joy! We have 6 Australorp chicks. We lost a few during the hatch, but Wanda is coping with the new guys and the 2 Dorkings that are now 10 days old. There is one more egg left unhatched. How long should I wait before removing it?

Time to create page: 0.257 seconds