Fernhill newbie

More
10 years 4 months ago #36112 by Kinickles
Fernhill newbie was created by Kinickles
Hi all, we have just brought a 2.5 acre section and are building a barn house on it. We also just got 2 ewes and a ram lamb as suggested but a local farmer. We were hoping they would keep the grass down as between making the offer and settlement the grass has gotten really long!!! We now realize 3 sheep aren't going to keep much of the grass down but not to keen on getting more until we know how to look after these 3 first. Have just been warned about flystrike? And been told to get the sheep shorn soon as they are quite wooly. I can handle all of that for now, I'm guessing it will be much better when w are actually living out there and seeing them every day. Once we know how to look after the sheep properly we will buy some chickens too, and then we'll have to learn about looking after lambs!!!!!!

All very exciting, but lots to learn:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #472082 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Fernhill newbie
Hi and welcome. :)

The sheep as suggested by the farmer who wanted to sell them to you? Is the ram the lamb of one of the ewes, or is he unrelated, or closely related? Certainly it's best to shear sheep before the flies get really active. Strike is horrid - have you seen it before?

Where have you come from and have you "done rural" before at all? Are you US expats? (Gotten being the reason I ask.)

More
10 years 4 months ago #472083 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Fernhill newbie
Welcome kinickles, off to a good start, let google be your friend where animals are concerned, and if you are still in contact with the farmer, let him give you advice, very helpful. Research the type of sheep you'd like, depending on how much time you have for care etc. Look forward to seeing photos of your barn type house.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
10 years 4 months ago #472101 by Kinickles
Replied by Kinickles on topic Fernhill newbie
Hi Ruth, we were thinking about getting some sheep and a lot of people said it's not a silly idea so we just looked around and ended up getting them from a random on trade me after seeking advice and doing a little bit of research on what to look for. The am lamb is not one of the ewes lambs, I'm on to it and asked that when picking the sheep and ram out:) haven't yet seen fly strike but the wool is getting quite long on the sheep so have just enquired with a local shearer who can do the 3 of them. Haha no we aren't us expats, local Napier people:)

More
10 years 4 months ago #472103 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Fernhill newbie
My cynicism was peeking through the cracks. [}:)]

Any sheep looking irritated or separating off, or doing a lot of twitching or running away from nothing, should be checked for strike - you won't see anything on the outside of the wool at the start, only after it's well established.

More
10 years 4 months ago #472124 by Kinickles
Replied by Kinickles on topic Fernhill newbie
That's good to know, I think they're ok right now then:) we are struggling with what to do about so much grass though!!! Do we buy more sheep? Cattle??? Or just mow it for the moment to top the grass off?? Soon much grass!!!

More
10 years 4 months ago #472126 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic Fernhill newbie
mow it, Pack it into big air tight plastic sacks and make silage for winter. No such thing as having too much grass, just need to learn what to do with it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds