Newbie and Diving in Head First

More
8 years 9 months ago #36009 by mallory5nz
Hi. We just went unconditional on our offer to purchase a lifestyle property in Poukawa (home, barn & 3 hectares) and we move in in just 1 week! YIKES!

We're excited but there is so much to learn.

The property is coming with 6 ewes and all their lambs (last count was 12 babies), as well as a chicken and rooster. We are adding 5 1-year old labrador retrievers to the mix and New Zealand White rabbits are due to arrive in mid October. And my husband hopes to add 2-3 cattle.

Our livestock will mostly be for our dogs (as they are raw fed) and while we've had horses and rabbits before, sheep, chickens and cattle are going to be new experiences.

I've joined this group in hopes of finding some immediate advice on fencing as that is one of my biggest concerns right now. I look forward to chatting!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #470836 by Blueberry
so, does that mean that although the property comes with sheep attached, it's not really fenced well enough to keep the sheep in (or out, as the case may be?)

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
8 years 9 months ago #470892 by Del
Replied by Del on topic Newbie and Diving in Head First
Exciting times! Your location sounds great!
All the best on your new adventure, I'm sure you'll find the guidance you need here; the people are fantastically helpful :D

More
8 years 9 months ago #470948 by LongRidge
Welcome. Our 3 dogs and 2 cats go through about 1 sheep per month, including cooked offal. Remember to freeze sheep and goat meat for at least a week before feeding it to your dogs. Our old rams and even older sheep get homekilled for this use.
Poukawa, west Taupo I presume? With the right sort of fertiliser, enough of it, and cobalt supplementation you might be able to run the stock you plan. I would only run 2 cattle - 1 yearling and 1 newly weaned calf, kill the yearling when it gets to about 2yo and replace it with another calf.
When we started 20-odd years ago, I did not know that sheep could get through 8 wire and batten fences. I am now putting netting over the top of the fences that I put in then.
For the cattle, I only need a single electric wire. So the netting fences have a hot outrigger on them to discourage the cattle from rubbing on the fence. This also means that I can break-feed the cattle when I need to.
Sheep do not like hay, and do not do well on it, so don't plan to feed them hay unless you know they will eat it. Sheep need short grass, cattle need longer grass than sheep can eat, so when possible let the cattle have the paddock before the sheep get it. That way, the cattle will get rid of more of the sheep worms, too.
The fencing laws are quite ambiguous, except the bit about you must keep your stock in, be they sheep, cattle, chickens, rabbits, dogs, trees, elephants or mice. The sheep and cattle cannot be killed by the neighbours if they escape, but the dogs, chickens and rabbits can be.

More
8 years 9 months ago #471268 by Negodil
Welcome Mallory5NZ, this is a great place to get advice from. Congratulations and good luck with the new block.

Fairhaven Alpacas, breeding champion Suri alpaca in Temuka

More
8 years 9 months ago #472032 by Kinickles
We are in a similar situation to you. Just purchased some land in Fernhill and needed to get the grass down quite quickly so brought 3 sheep(obviously note nought to keep the amount of grass down than needed). Hopefully getting some chickens soon too but for now we better learn how to look after sheep properly:)

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds