Hi from Blenheim!

More
8 years 9 months ago #36003 by tonybaker
Hi from Blenheim! was created by tonybaker
Here we are surrounded by grapes, a little oasis of diversity!

Just attended a cheesemaking course, magic! A farmer in Tua Marina has a wonderful milk vending machine where you can get REAL milk,,,ok so I will probably succumb to TB or some other hideous demise by drinking raw milk - but it can't be worse than what Fonterra put in theirs. By the way, has anyone found out the real reason that they decided to use those non see thru bottles? I can't imagine how their marketing guys (it's def a guy thing) came up with this one - they are not even recyclable!

We have been on our block since 1986, only advice I can give is to not to count on making money from your land, rather you can reduce your cost of living by growing your own stuff. Please don't make the mistake of registering for GST! It sounds good to start with but it will cause you many sleepless nights! Only the accountant makes the money....

I found that raised beds (not the sort with wooden sides) grow things well, mainly cos the soil warms up quickly. Also a shadehouse is very good and easy to build. I find that the tunnel house is a bit too hot at times, even with everything open.

You must have a tractor too, makes life so much easier.

Hope to make some friends on here, isn't the weather so wonderful at the moment?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #470740 by wandering free
Replied by wandering free on topic Hi from Blenheim!
Hi Welcome to LSB, it's a nice place Blenheim much the same climate we have, all to hot in summer. I used to do a lot of work over there, great place for Walnuts my best tree is one I grafted from a tree in Blenheim.

Totally agree about making LSB's pay, but they can save you a lot, no GST for a start and fresh food straight of the tree, you can't beat tree ripened, people in cities don't know what real food tastes like.

Just the odd wispy clouds for the last few days but looks like it might be about to change, we could do with some rain it's getting a bit dry.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
8 years 9 months ago #470751 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hi from Blenheim!
Welcome from another local L Sentence B'er :-). We've not been doing it as long as you, yet ..... only 22 years, plus some childhood memories.
What, where, how much do you have?

More
8 years 9 months ago #470817 by Del
Replied by Del on topic Hi from Blenheim!
Hi Tony! We're having loads of fun 'reducing costs' by growing our own... Or at least we would were it not for those pesky start-up costs... But we enjoy it, and its always nice to know that if we had to for whatever reason, we could make do out here for quite a while.

More
8 years 9 months ago #470821 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Hi from Blenheim!
Welcome to the forum. :)

tonybaker;473334 wrote: ... has anyone found out the real reason that they decided to use those non see thru bottles? I can't imagine how their marketing guys (it's def a guy thing) came up with this one - they are not even recyclable!

Presumably because the milk always tasted terrible and they wanted to eliminate the light degradation. Do you think there's something more sinister?

tonybaker;473334 wrote: ...don't make the mistake of registering for GST! It sounds good to start with but it will cause you many sleepless nights! Only the accountant makes the money....

I walked into a GST-registered situation and have never found it particularly onerous. Before online returns and banking, there were some hairy moments when deadlines arrived and I'd forgotten to do the return or send the payment. These days with computerised spreadsheets (and most people have even simpler set-ups with proprietary software packages doing most of the work for them) it's a doddle compared with all the double-checking I used to do with the paper journal and paper statements etc.

More
8 years 9 months ago #470877 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hi from Blenheim!
We almost always have a refund, so if I don't get around to it and send in the return late, they pay me interest :-).

More
8 years 9 months ago #471258 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Hi from Blenheim!
Hi all! nice of you all to take the time to reply! I've been on my block since 86, the year of GST!. Originally had 20 acres but sold 15 to neighbour who wanted to lose some money planting grapes, ha ha...

My comments about GST were more aimed at the time when you want to cease trading for whatever reason, then its payback time and it's not you that gets paid back! I still think that it's best to stay clear of any business ideas (and IRD) but aim to reduce your living costs by growing your own food and fuel.

At the moment I am renovating the front paddock, it had a real mass of couch grass and I had to resort to Roundup. Yes I tried the rotary hoe and harrow method but it just did not work for me. I now have two large piles of satisfyingly dead couch (I hope!) which I will burn in due course. Going to sow a dryland mix as we are quite dry and stony here. I am making a lime spreader from some old farm plans that I found on the net, it fits on the back of the trailer.

It always amazes me when I see people planting trees directly under power lines! Or on land that is road reserve, it seems quite common. I suppose when your 'head down' planting you forget to look up?

Best tree - or is it a shrub- is Tagasaste (tree lucerne) grows like a weed and makes v good firewood, stock love it too-and the bees. Worst trees are the pine family, so much pollen everywhere, but they are fast growers.

My tomato plants are well up in the tunnel house, and the Rocket spuds are just poking their heads up, I guess we are bound to get some more frosts though.

Best wishes to you all out there,

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds