Hello from Foxton

More
8 years 9 months ago #35984 by Kwerky
Hello from Foxton was created by Kwerky
Hello everyone, I am new. I have got some land just out of Foxton and am wanting to build on it. I was reading one member talking about how to live on the land while building. I have just been searching for portable buildings ideas and was interested in this. Anyway, my land is completely bare and I am wanting to put in the four services (power, sewage, water tanks, phone), but also want to be powered off the grid type too. Anyway, I am a newbie builder, like some of you here. Anyone got cheap sewage ideas? cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #470508 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Hello from Foxton
Welcome to the forum. :)

Kwerky;473094 wrote: ...Anyone got cheap sewage ideas? cheers.

Deep hole, seat, small shed. [;)]

More
8 years 9 months ago #470511 by Kwerky
Replied by Kwerky on topic Hello from Foxton
hehehehe. have thought about that tooooo............ here's an idea ....... http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=636613954
they reckon they can complete this INSTALLED for $10k.

More
8 years 9 months ago #470513 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Hello from Foxton
That's a bit more expensive than my idea.

More
8 years 9 months ago #470525 by Kwerky
It is Ruth. I have shopped around a bit and am doing some research on line on this Enviro Septic, and will keep you posted. It's still one of the cheapest I have seen so far.

More
8 years 9 months ago #470533 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Hello from Foxton
Have you considered a composting system such as the Clivus Multrim? Not as cheap as Ruth's suggestion but less expensive than a full on water wasting, wet boggy hole creating, septic system. You would still need sone sort of soakage area for your grey water but depending on the size of your block and the soil type you may get away with just running it out on the surface where no-one can see it.

More
8 years 9 months ago #470536 by ashajade
Replied by ashajade on topic Hello from Foxton
Hi Kwerky,

Sorry, but 10K on a toilet system? I can think of plenty of other ways I'd prefer to use that money. I'd go with a homemade composting toilet - it's VERY cheap, 100% natural, owner-built and maintained and a year later you get awesome compost out of it. There's plenty of info out there about how to construct a compost toilet and the different types. Alternately you could buy a manufactured one. Good luck!

More
8 years 9 months ago #470729 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Hello from Foxton
please first of all go to your district council and see what they will allow! My friends have a composting toilet and it has worked well for a number of years, however it gets overloaded if they have visitors - and they ask the men to pee in a bucket!

Most councils are anti people living in temporary buildings, they may ask you to pay a bond as assurance that you will eventually move into a house in a certain time?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
8 years 9 months ago #470905 by ashajade
Replied by ashajade on topic Hello from Foxton
tonybaker, sounds like your friends need to tweak their system to cater for high usage periods. Unless of course the guests are fine with the bucket... Plenty of men are happy to pee on a tree which also helps...helps the tree too!

More
8 years 6 months ago #477552 by Kwerky
thanks Ruth

More
8 years 6 months ago #477553 by Kwerky
thanks for that. I have looked around some more and am liking the b train idea, and I think I would go for a Sun Mar Excel. There is a trader on trade me selling them for $3.5k. I think this is a good price, and I could install the simple grey water leach field system for very little money. Thanks all. Very interesting site.

More
8 years 6 months ago #477555 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Hello from Foxton
Hi and welcome kwerky, check with the District council first!
They are rather pedantic about what goes in for septic tanks. I know of one new house build, and that was about 6 years ago, when the Horowhenua District Council changed their minds half way through the build as to what they demanded in the form of a septic set up, involving extra expense.
PS, we have a 25,000 ltre water tank for sale in the classifieds!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds