Looking to go more rural

More
8 years 9 months ago #35939 by Wren
Hi everyone, my partner and I are looking into buying a LSB outside Christchurch - at the moment we have a few chooks in the city but we'd like to have a bit more land, enough for a small amount of livestock (and more chooks, no doubt!)

We've talked about it for a while, and have always seen it as a long-term plan, but have only recently started looking more seriously into buying a place out of town. So I expect I'll probably be asking a few basic questions here as we work out what's for us, before we even get to a LSB, so thanks in advance for any advice you provide! This forum seems like a great community, and I've already learned loads from reading old threads! :)

Muddling our way through 1Ha on the Christchurch Port Hills, with flocks of heritage chickens, Silver Appleyard ducks, Gotland sheep, and Arapawa goats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #470068 by Negodil
Replied by Negodil on topic Looking to go more rural
Hi Wren, welcome to the forum. There are so many experienced people here you should be able to get answers to just about any question.

My wife and I bought our place south of ChCh 5 years ago and haven't looked back. I just wish I found the LSB Forum much sooner, I wouldn't have made some of the mistakes I have. But then learning the hard way can be "fun".

All the best.

Fairhaven Alpacas, breeding champion Suri alpaca in Temuka

More
8 years 9 months ago #470235 by Del
Replied by Del on topic Looking to go more rural
Welcome! And as Negodil says, good move researching first :D mind you, if you're anything like us, your priorities may change as you embark upon the adventure... Our "cricket pitch" turned into a pony paddock, our handful of chooks (which were themselves a late addition) now includes a rooster and eggs in an incubator, and there is "food" growing out of the ground all over the place!
Have fun, ad good luck :)

More
8 years 9 months ago #470346 by Negodil
Replied by Negodil on topic Looking to go more rural
Del's point about plans changing is very true. We only wanted a few pet alpaca and now we're registered breeders with 31 animals. So don't be surprised if your plans and ideals for the LSB also change.

Fairhaven Alpacas, breeding champion Suri alpaca in Temuka

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds