surrounded in glorious fresh air, and friendly folk

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #35276 by thisgoodlife
Hi everyone,
I live on 5 acres north of Otaki, nestled behind a hill beside a river, near the Tararua forest. What a special place to breath in life with my little girl and husband. we are 34, 32 and 4 years. been here 3 years.
We are organic or natural farming as I like to call it. And marvel at the power of seaweed and comfrey for animals and garden.
We have been harvesting about 120kg from the blueberry patch and raising our own homekill meat...as well as breeding romney perendaleX organic sheep.
I love that my wee one can grow up spending so much time out in nature and lushness and mud!
she is quite the shepherd and calf caller and feeder.
I was put onto our amazing homekill guy - Roger Tapene through a google search and ended up here on LSB.
I look forward to being apart of this community!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #462587 by eelcat
Welcome to the site - you are right - the life we lead on our blocks is good!

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #462618 by Aria
Welcome to the forum - gee I wish I had a blueberry patch! :)

More
9 years 1 week ago #462658 by kai
Hi there, you are just about a neighbour of mine. I am in Otaki.

More
9 years 1 week ago #462671 by Blueberry

Aria;464461 wrote: Welcome to the forum - gee I wish I had a blueberry patch! :)

I DO!! :D :D :D

Hey, TGL - how many bushes to you have? what varieties?? :)

we have 1800 bushes in 16-odd varieties.

and, yes, of course, then there's the Highlanders, the sheep, the chickens and the ducks and several hundred fruittrees :D [8D]

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
9 years 1 week ago #462785 by ZummersetGirl
Hi TGL,
I'm a sort of neighbor as live just south of Otaki. The weather is so much nicer here than where we lived before. The fresh air, access to home grown food and our own eggs makes it heaven. The mossies are the only downside :(

More
9 years 1 week ago #462787 by Crystika
Hi TGL

I'm also a neighbour of sorts. We are in the sunny Waikanae :)
This forum is a great place to meet like minded people and have access to their years of experience.

More
9 years 1 week ago #463111 by thisgoodlife
thanks, i like your animal collection, we seem to be an unofficia, animal sancturary these days.

More
9 years 1 week ago #463112 by thisgoodlife
HI,
we have 110 bushes, so not as many as you...they must keep you busy. do you have a mechanical harvester?

More
9 years 5 days ago #463364 by Sandra Pedersen
Welcome to the forum.I live in the Hawkes Bay but used to live in Whitemans Valley and used Roger for our home kill say hi from Sandra he knows me well. Hes the best and Hadden is great at Prestons Levin for processing.It certainly is the life for youngsters to grow up on.

sandra pedersen

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds