Proud new owners of an Ohoka lifestyle block

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #35267 by Bensley
Hi everyone,

Me and my husband Ryan have just signed up after just purchasing a 10 acre block in Ohoka Canterbury which settled on Thursday. Yay. :-).

I have often looked at this site and hope to be able to glean much valuable advice in the months to come once a house is built and we can embark on our very own "the good life" adventure.

We are both townies (although I grew up in rural Scotland) and are both only in our mid twenties so please forgive the ignorance we may portray at times.

As for animals, we currently only own two German Shepherds and two cats but plan on increasing that to include a house cow, some chooks, and hopefully a couple of pigs and sheep once we have moved onto the land.

Cheers

Jen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #462445 by Deanna
Welcome Jan and Ryan, you aren't too far from us. All the best with your plans, I have found this site priceless, friendly and very helpful, thanks to all the wonderful generous members. Will look forward to seeing all your progress.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #462448 by Trace
Welcome to the forum :-)

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #462470 by terralee
Welcome to the wonderful lSB journey[^]
You will find most of us have had experience in most things rural so ask away any questions and answers are bound to follow[;)]

Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #462478 by Leonie
Congrats on the new journey :)

'REGRET IS A DULL AND RUSTED BLADE'

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #462503 by LongRidge
Welcome. I suspect that the dogs will love to play with the fowl. If so, the fowls won't last long. All the dogs we have had (6) are or were chook killers.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #462504 by eelcat
Welcome to the site. This afternoon one of our border collies (the younger sillier one) was "helping us" mulch the feijoa trees with donkey poo manure, largely by rolling in it. One of the hens had escaped from the orchard where the poultry free range and was also "helping us" largely by removing the manure from where I had spread it round the trees. Mollie gave the hen a very wide berth and showed no signs of wanting to or trying to deal with the hen. She is never left loose by herself and so has no opportunity to capture hens. We have never had an issue with our 4 dogs and the poultry - enjoy your piece of paradise

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #462584 by eelcat
Welcome to the site. This afternoon one of our border collies (the younger sillier one) was "helping us" mulch the feijoa trees with donkey poo manure, largely by rolling in it. One of the hens had escaped from the orchard where the poultry free range and was also "helping us" largely by removing the manure from where I had spread it round the trees. Mollie gave the hen a very wide berth and showed no signs of wanting to or trying to deal with the hen. She is never left loose by herself and so has no opportunity to capture hens. We have never had an issue with our 4 dogs and the poultry - enjoy your piece of paradise

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #462706 by Negodil
Hi Jen and Ryan.

Congratulations on making the move to the life style. It's usually hard work but often rewarding. Don't worry about showing your ignorance - that's how we learn, and most people here started with no knowledge. Just ask whatever question you need an answer to.

All the best, Neil

Fairhaven Alpacas, breeding champion Suri alpaca in Temuka

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds