Hello from Clyde!

More
11 years 1 month ago #35144 by mckeenas
Hello from Clyde! was created by mckeenas
Hi to everyone out there.
My other half (Rob) and our 9 year old daughter are originally from NZ but had been away for 12 years until we moved to Clyde from Sydney at the end of June 2012. Our dream was to buy some land and become makers of goats milk cheese (brie style). Almost 12 months later we have finally settled on 15.27ha, the fencing contractor is sorted and, now we are oncthe lookout for gosts, sheds, milking equipment and cheese making equipment. Contacts in the same industry will also be an amazing thing to have as..........goats are certainly a fair cry from corporate life (although perhaps some of the personalities may be the same [8D])
Would love to hear from anyone who has some advice.......contacts......equipment and / or experiences to share.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #461161 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic Hello from Clyde!
Hi - welcome home :-)!

Lots of goat milkers and cheesemakers on here but mainly for personal consumption, I think. I believe there are all kinds of regulations around cheese making for resale purposes, if that was your plan. NZ Dairy Goat Breeders Association would be a good place to perhaps start your research.

Best of luck!!!!

More
11 years 1 month ago #461193 by mckeenas
Replied by mckeenas on topic Hello from Clyde!
Thanks Aria. It certainly is great to be home!

More
11 years 1 month ago #461209 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hello from Clyde!
I might be able to find some gosts (line 3) for you, but milking goats will be more difficult. Hopefully Andrea will return soon from where-ever she is to give you all the suggestions that you need.
The main problem with milking goats or cattle is what to do with the babies. Some goats are able to make milk without ever getting pregnant, and some others can be kept milking forever after the first pregnancy. But no recovery period seems rather hard on the goat, to me.

More
11 years 1 month ago #461338 by mckeenas
Replied by mckeenas on topic Hello from Clyde!
Yes. The kids were definitely a problem for our daughter who couldn't understand why we were not going to be able to keep them all. We are hoping to build a relationship with some of the regional restaurants as well as a nearby operation that raises goats just for meat. We will be looking to keep some of the doe kids each year to grow the herd as well. They make such good pets as well so maye there will be a small opportunity there also.

More
11 years 1 month ago #461475 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hello from Clyde!
Unless you have an export standard licenced abbatoir handy, so that the restaurants can get the meat from there, then they cannot sell the meat, and neither can you. With export freezing works/meat processing plants, most of them are absolutely unable to get your carcases back to you. In fact, many do not sell meat to the local market.
We, well one of us anyway, are stupid and handrear orphan goats on lambs milk powder. It costs about $100 per kid for the powder, then a years grazing, by which time the meat is worth $50 and the kid far too tame to kill.
Kids normally come in 2s or 3s, and much less often as singles or quads. Thus they are very small, so if killed at 4 days old for meat would be smaller than a chook. It might work though ..... if you can find a licenced slaughterhouse that will do it.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds