Good day from Marlborough

More
10 years 11 months ago #34958 by beachcombers
Hey everyone

We are a expat couple in our 40's, based here in Marlborough. We have two beautiful girls aged 3 and 5.

My wife, works at a bio dynamic wine estate, where she is in charge of two draft horses that are used instead of tractors.

I have a small wine label and we are looking to buy a block within the next couple of years and develop it as a sustainable small holding.

We are very interested in the bio dynamic way of life and looking forward to contributing to the forum.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #459456 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Good day from Marlborough
Welcome aboard and good luck with your endeavours.
What kind of horses does your wife work with?
My dad was very glad to convert from horses to tractor in the 1950's but I believe that we may well live to see a resurgence in the use of four legged horse power on small farms. The disadvantage with that of course is that working horses require a lot more time spent on daily maintenance than tractors meaning longer working hours for the farmers.

More
10 years 11 months ago #459510 by wandering free
Welcome to the forum, I was interested in Igor's thoughts on horses and it got me thinking, I wonder were the cross over point is when a horse is more profitable than a tractor, it's only 60 years since they were replaced on the farm I helped on when I was a teenager, and I to don't think it will be long before they start making a comeback, would be great to see.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
10 years 11 months ago #459537 by beachcombers
Thanks everyone. My wife works with two Clydesdales. They also have a tractor, but gradually more and more of the work is being done by the horses. Regarding maintenance, yes its true you can not work them all day long, but you can get a good four hours worth out of them. Maintenance is a pain, but at least you do not have to buy spare parts! My wife is very good with barefoot hooves and has already made a number of changes on how the horses are handled (less pressure, more direction).

More
10 years 11 months ago #459767 by RichardW
Replied by RichardW on topic Good day from Marlborough
Welcome aboard the forum :D :D

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds