Novice permaculture newbies

• cam
9 years 2 months ago #34930 by cam
Novice permaculture newbies was created by cam
Hi all, we have just joined the site, having moved onto our block 3 weeks ago. While I have already posted an ad, I thought it might be appropriate to introduce us! Our little family (mom, pop, Isobel and Euan, with Skipper the dog, and rat catcher legend no-name cat) came to NZ from SA via the UK. We are very very proud owners of a 6acre block just south of katikati, and regard ourselves as incredibly priviledged, but equally ignorant!

So far: We really enjoyed learning before we actually owned land how you just wack together permaculture systems, have your pigs and chickens being living tractors and all that wonderful stuff - quite different when you have to actually figure out how it all works on real land: at the moment the chickens do what the hell they want, where they want, dont lay eggs, and appear too small to make much of a meal. The sheep still belong to the old owner, and every time I try and point that he needs to consider sharing them with us, as they are now munching our grass, he disappears for a week or so, returning to move the sheep into another paddock when he believes I have come to my senses. We were also casually told by a friend on the day that we moved in that ' that looks like deadly nightshade' - of course the stuff is all over the place, so I charged around like crazy trying to yank it all out, because Euan(aged one and a bit) eats plants for a hobby, trying not to drop these little black berries as I was doing so, as they are the poisonous bits. Turns out that it is 'only' nightshade, and not the deadly one, just a bit poisonous, which is meant to be a relief. We also now have about a hectare of lawn to mow, without a ride on mower or a tractor (I so badly want a tractor).

All that aside, loving our new life. We also had a wonderful nursery woman around today, who pointed out the incredible range of natives we have on the property.

We are searching for a few Dorper lambs (the Saffa in us dies hard), and a few smallish piglets to start our bacon making and help us clear up some land. We have long term plans for a few lowline cattle or some similar small breed, but have a bit of learning to do first!

We already enjoy the site greatly, and look forward to making contact in due course.

Cameron, Michelle, et al

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #459195 by Rata
Replied by Rata on topic Novice permaculture newbies
Welcome Cameron and Michelle. If you're still interested in reading as well as doing, this free series of videos and pdfs by Geoff Lawton are incredibly useful.

permaculturenews.org/2013/04/22/geoff-la...undance-on-a-budget/

And there's a great tour round their working farm here, chicken tractors and all

permaculturenews.org/2012/06/01/zaytuna-...evolutionary-design/

More
9 years 2 months ago #459242 by Poppy03
Replied by Poppy03 on topic Novice permaculture newbies
Sounds like a lovely place, hope the old owner shares those sheep! Good luck!

More
9 years 2 months ago #459244 by Poppy03
Replied by Poppy03 on topic Novice permaculture newbies
I am in omokoroa, there seems to be a lot of tauranga people on this site!

More
9 years 2 months ago #459372 by ashajade
Hi Cam,

Your place sounds great. It's nice to see more and more people are interested in permaculture. I highly recommend following Geoff Lawton's work if you aren't already. The videos that Rata has linked to are also definitely worth watching (I'm going to repost them in another thread so more people have the chance to watch too).

My husband and I are also studying permaculture and can't wait to start developing our property.

Look forward to hearing about your progress!

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds