new to this life, from NC, USA

More
9 years 3 months ago #34703 by BMetz34
Hi everyone! I've been wandering around the internet looking for info and glad I stumbled upon this forum! My husband and I recently left city life (although I grew up in the country) and moved from CT to NC. We have bought 5 acres (wish we had more!) and are building a log cabin on sight. I've convinced the hubby that if he gets his garage and toys (jet ski, boat etc) in front of the house, then I get the area behind the house to have a mini farm. Our ordinance states we can keep farm animals as long as they are not used commercially, and I'm only interested in having them as pets anyway.

We won't have anything for a year or two, so I'm taking this time to learn, as the only experience I have is with cats, dogs and birds. I'm most interested at the moment in Kunekune pigs. I'd like to have 2 of those. I'd also like a miniature goat or 2, and maybe a mini donkey. This will be spread out and not all at once, but I've always wanted animals around me, and I'm finally getting to a place where I can make that possible.

I'm so happy to be here and learn! :D

~Brigitte

2 dogs, 1 cat, future owner of Kunekune pigs, goats and more!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #456735 by scottmj
Hi there BMetz34,

Welcome to the site. FYI - you may also be interested in http://www.reddit.com/r/homestead/ - It has a mainly American userbase, but don't let that stop you from reading this site :D

More
9 years 3 months ago #456749 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic new to this life, from NC, USA
I had no idea you could get Kunekune's in the US. Gee, our little porker is famous :D . They are adorable but masterful little escape artists! Good luck on the property.

More
9 years 2 months ago #456769 by LongRidge
I think that kunekunes may be unique to this part of the world, but if you can get them they will do far less ground damage than other domestic meat breeds.
We have donkeys that are just bigger than minis - 17 of them in fact. These are too small to do much with so I would not be tempted with a mini at all. But an American Goliath on the other hand is big enough to ride, tow implements, and mate with a horse to make a useful mule or hinney. Always have 2 or more equines, and remember that donkeys are much more susceptible to cold than horses are.
Good luck.

More
9 years 2 months ago #456918 by kindajojo
I see there are a few KuneKune breeders in the States, I hate to think what they cost...but they are cute

Welcome to the site

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds