New to Canterbury. Hi people!

More
9 years 3 months ago #34551 by Drainz
Hi all!

We've just moved into a sixteen acre block near Sefton, Rangiora. I'm from England and the missus was raised in Invercargill, but we've both been in Scotland for the last 20 years or so.
In these drought-ridden times our place is looking fantastically green but there's no stock on it yet. We're looking to get some bobby calves in soon, plus some chooks and whatever else comes along.
In the meantime herself would like to get her hands on some blackthorn (sloe) bushes. Anyone know where we could find some?

Cheers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #455035 by Remrem
ooooh going to make some gin?? yummy! and welcome :D

Farming on The Main Drag in the Rangitikei since Feb 2013

More
9 years 3 months ago #455087 by LongRidge
Unless there are some autumn calving dairy cows down there, getting bobbies now will be a wee bit difficult. August and September is when most bobbies are born.

More
9 years 3 months ago #455103 by RichardW
Hi Drainz and welcome

I looked up blackthorn (sloe) bushes and it says that they have locally naturalised in New Zealand but i cant say ive seen any growing in Canterbury though

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

More
9 years 3 months ago #455132 by Drainz
Longridge, you're quite right -I'll be asking about at the weekend to see what's what in the local dairy farms. It's that or get some skinny store beasts in. We've got good grass which is the exception in this region, so the prices should be good and we should be able to make something of whatever we can find. I could go for sheep but our fences are not ideal for them.
I wanted bobby calves because I'm a welder, not a farmer, so fancied something easy to handle...

More
9 years 3 months ago #455136 by igor
Replied by igor on topic New to Canterbury. Hi people!
Welcome Drainz. I could sell you some three month old pigs. They are weaned and electric fence trained. Might be a bit far for you to come and get them though.

More
9 years 3 months ago #455176 by Negodil
Hi Drainz, welcome to LSB and to NZ. My wife and I are from England as well. Came over 4.5 years ago and have not looked back. We have 7.5 acres of paddock on which we breed alpaca - chose them because they are very easy to look after (we were complete novices to land and animals) and look cute. Only trouble is that I work full time (plus more) so don't have enough time on the farm.

You'll find LSB a great place to get info/advice and there are quite a few members in your part of the country. Hope all goes well

Fairhaven Alpacas, breeding champion Suri alpaca in Temuka

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds