My turn! My turn!

More
11 years 2 months ago #34527 by Remrem
My turn! My turn! was created by Remrem
Hi there, thought i'd better stop lurking and introduce myself! We have just bought 15 acres in the good ol' Rangitikei. It's been our aim to have a LSB for a while, though had planned on making the big move in two years but i didn't take my own advice to stop looking at TM and once we'd seen this place we couldn't say no [:I]'We' is me, the hubby, young mr 19 months, young mr almost 6 and a very daft Rottweiler. We shifted in two weeks ago so still getting boxes unpacked but we're getting there (big result for the week - there is room for my car to park in the garage [8D] ). Hubby works in Palmy and I work in Bulls. Hubby and I grew up on farms so have a bit of an idea of the work involved though obviously heaps to learn and looking forward to getting stuck in and learning the finer points as we go. The land is very cool – house is on a hill so can look down and see just about every paddock. Few trees for firewood and shade, sheds, covered yard, stable, loading race and a well for water supply to the troughs. Got a few ideas though want to ease in gradually – very keen on getting a small flock of wiltshires after reading comments on here, and a couple of nurse cows to rear some extra calves. Chickens for sure – hubby has modifications for the chicken coop planned! Meanwhile the paddocks are being put to good use as a driving range by the men-folk. Anyway, looking forward to getting to know you all! I see there is quite a strong manawatu/Rangitikei presence on here – anyone got some Wiltis or a quiet in-calf cow to sell? hehe :D

Farming on The Main Drag in the Rangitikei since Feb 2013

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #454788 by belinda_h
Replied by belinda_h on topic My turn! My turn!
Welcome, yes there are a few of us Rangitikei types here. Nice to see more coming on board - especially since our beloved council seems to not like us much! I know a few of us got together a week ago at Althea's, but perhaps its time for a bigger Rangitikei get-together? (and those over the river as well - we like you too!). I hereby volunteer my place. Good incentive to tidy up. Does some time over Easter suit?

More
11 years 2 months ago #454792 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic My turn! My turn!
Welcome from me too, from the Horowhenua-perhaps we can all catch up again, Easter sound fine, sorry I couldn't make the last one!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
11 years 2 months ago #454799 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic My turn! My turn!
Hi Remrem, and welcome little lurker. New here too, only been life styling since Dec. I love my Wiltshires, but farmer next door can't believe what we pay for them, but then he can shear! I just love their nature and easy care.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
11 years 2 months ago #454861 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic My turn! My turn!
Hi rem, I we are at Halcombe and have wilti's and midi galloway cattle (they are about 1 metre at the shoulder easy to manage and taste so good.

I have a 3/4 dexter x jersey for sale she is not in calf but it can be arrangeds, she would make a nice house cow She is 17 months old.
Also have wilti ewes for sale.
You are welcome to come and have a look

More
11 years 2 months ago #454869 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic My turn! My turn!
Make sure that your dog knows that chickens are not for chasing. Our Border Collie eye-dog used to eye chickens (which they didn't like), then try to round them up when they moved. The chickens didn't have a chance :-( ....... Same with piglets.

More
11 years 2 months ago #454911 by Remrem
Replied by Remrem on topic My turn! My turn!
Thanks for the welcome :) Kindajojo we had seen your girls on TM - is the belted galloway with calf still available too? Would be very keen to come see them if you're able to get them in-calf before selling. We've got a busy weekend coming up but if you could PM me your contact details we'll give you a shout, hopefully next week? :)

Yes i'm a bit worried about the dog with animals - rotties are used as sheep dogs in Germany but i don't think she knows that. Lots of close supervision for a while will be key - she's a good girl once she's clear on the rules, and she won't have free access to the animals if we're not there.

Why don't the council like us Belinda? I'll go reply to the thread you started now - we're keen for a bbq!

Farming on The Main Drag in the Rangitikei since Feb 2013

More
11 years 2 months ago #455062 by wiltshire
Replied by wiltshire on topic My turn! My turn!
hi Remrem,good to see another local on the site we have a few wilti lambs for sale if your interested .

More
11 years 2 months ago #455070 by John M
Replied by John M on topic My turn! My turn!
Hi Remrem, I have stock Wiltshire's from both kindajojo and wiltshire, both great people to deal with and good stock.

John

Breeding black Wiltshire shedding sheep.

Full shedding, easy care, good feet, easy lambing and good mothering is what it takes to make the breeding cut!

More
11 years 2 months ago #455105 by RichardW
Replied by RichardW on topic My turn! My turn!
Hi Remrem and welcome to the forum

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds