Finally!

More
14 years 8 months ago #20030 by Kilmoon
Finally! was created by Kilmoon
Well, after reading all the posts about others lambs we finally started last night (I was starting to get lamb-envy:rolleyes:).

A first time ewe that I would have laid money on being a good week away from lambing based on udder development, had a wee, wee, wee girl last night. Very small, very weak, but has a very attentive mum who didn't mind me grabbing lamb and walking her and daughter up to our hay shed/pens paddock for shelter and good tucker (grass that is). Had to tell Jaz that lambing on the side of a hill, albeit in a flat hollow was a good way to teach the newborn how to roll:rolleyes:, so wee AJ got a fair bit of rolling practice before she good walk, poor thing (moved them because she hadn't quite made it to the ditch at the bottom, but was working her way down there head over tail:rolleyes:).

Put a wool cover over the wee one so that she would stay warm and use the first few drinks to get her strength up and left them to it. This morning both are up and about, baaing at each other, but she still needs a bit of help to find the teats - handy wool cover makes it an easy job to hold lamb up while getting mouth around teat. And this while mum is just standing there chewing cud, or making little baa noises. Lovely maternal instinct!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #295976 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Finally!
Congratulations :D :D How many ewes do you have lambing this year?

Web Goddess

More
14 years 8 months ago #295977 by Kilmoon
Replied by Kilmoon on topic Finally!
Only the eight as we took our numbers way down from normal (didn't lamb last year either) as we have just finished clearing the last hectare and a half of gorse and scrub plus having massive pine trees felled in the remaining half a hectare or so. That process over the past year has taken out large paddock from having any good grazing so needed the numbers down to compensate. So we kept the best ewes and can now start lambing again.

Spread grass seed yesterday where all the gorse had been so hoping for rain this week to give it a boost.

More
14 years 8 months ago #295978 by sandra1245
Replied by sandra1245 on topic Finally!
congratulations,sounds like your off to a good start!!

More
14 years 8 months ago #296007 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic Finally!
Yay! I knew mine weren't last LOL. Fingers crossed the good weather holds, though I agree with you a bit of gentle rain this week wouldn't go astray.

hilldweller

More
14 years 8 months ago #296026 by LittleLSB
Replied by LittleLSB on topic Finally!
Lambing here started last Monday and finished last Thursday :D

Ewe #1 (who I and the real farmer neighbour thought would be second to go) produced a lovely single ewe lamb on Monday

Ewe #2 produced twins - one of each - on Thursday.

No assistance necessary [8D] All doing well

More
14 years 8 months ago #296042 by Hintzashouse
Replied by Hintzashouse on topic Finally!

LittleLSB;278962 wrote:

No assistance necessary [8D] All doing well

Excellent- just the way we all like it..

More
14 years 8 months ago #296045 by LittleLSB
Replied by LittleLSB on topic Finally!
And just to add to my joy..... Its finally raining :D :D :D

More
14 years 8 months ago #296054 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic Finally!

LittleLSB;278962 wrote: Lambing here started last Monday and finished last Thursday :D

Superb effort! My long-term goal is to have the entire flock lamb on one day :D

hilldweller

More
14 years 8 months ago #296057 by Kilmoon
Replied by Kilmoon on topic Finally!
Well little AJ now can find the left teat by herself, the right teat takes a bit more work:rolleyes:. Mum still has the afterbirth, but not worried as it'll come out in its own time...little AJ thought that was the third teat at one stage[:0]. Left her tucked up next to mum who is being a very attentive mother :p :D , and quite happy to be sitting in the dry of the hay shed.

Its now started raining :D :D :D :D :D so I guess I know when the next five will lamb (overnight, or staggered throughout tomorrow:rolleyes:), especially as we have "showers, hail or thunder" predicted for Tuesday and then rain again Friday.

I'm so glad hubby and I got the grass seed sown yesterday, this rain is going to give it the right start, especially with all the extra mouths that will be in that paddock in a month or so time.

More
11 years 3 months ago #34453 by 70m45
Replied by 70m45 on topic Finally!
Hi there,

after over 2 years of searching we finally found and bought our piece of land and we would like to thanks everyone here who helped us and kept answering our silly questions (and that was just a beginning as we have more and more coming)!

We have ~50 acres of elevated gorse garden nearby Mangonui and as we still work in Auckland the plan is to keep working on the land over the weekends and hopefully slowly migrate from Auckland up north (at least for the long summer from the very beginning).

And if anyone would like to run some goats to fight the gorse or sheeps to get bit of grazing on our land he will be more than welcome :)

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds