Looking for professional land advice, nth Canterbury

More
9 years 4 months ago #34404 by Ajhacket
Hi, we are looking at a property in nth Canterbury, and wondered if there is people we can get to check out the land, grass, like you do in the urban areas, with property checks
Any contact persons details would be great fully accepted

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #453652 by Ruth
Welcome to the forum. If you pay me well enough, I'll fly down and tell you how green your grass is. [;)]

It's never quite that easy, since how good a property will be depends quite a lot on what you'd like to do with it.

More
9 years 4 months ago #453669 by kindajojo
I would check out the fertiliser history of the property. You can get soil maps from the local council which will tell you want the soil is like in the area.
Have a chat with the neighbouring farmers.
I would say that the rural property real-estate person would have a good idea, BUT may be a little biast

More
9 years 4 months ago #453671 by Aquila
We are looking at properties in north Canterbury too. Most estate agents don't know anything more than what the vendors tell them and most agents don't know what too ask in my experience

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

More
9 years 4 months ago #453701 by muri
If you are wanting to know about the quality of potential land, the most reliable would probably be a soil test or else a farmer that can at least give you an opinion about the land.A soil test can tell you if there have been heavy metals eg ex orchard etc and give you some idea of how you should fertilise in the future
Remember, you can always improve on what is there but certainly if you can get a fertiliser history of the property that would be very useful.
Finding out the carrying capacity of the land and what the farmer has been running would probably be about the limit of what i would expect from a real estate agent

More
9 years 4 months ago #453742 by LongRidge
DDT is a problem in Canterbury, so if I were buying then I would include that in the basic soil test that I got done using Ravensdowns laboratory.
I borrowed soil maps from Lincoln, and flooding photographs from the local District Council, I think, 15 years ago.

More
9 years 4 months ago #453826 by daerfamily

More
9 years 4 months ago #453958 by jennym
high on your list should be water, depending on what you want to do.
try and make sure what you get has a reliable well or the underlying aquifer is high enough to enable you to drill one.
there are water zones, avoid the red zone if possible. you can get the areas off of the ecan website - use the gis thingy. there is alot of stuff on there. you can probably phone them up if you have questions.

i actually fluffed it up, i didnt have enough info and i took a guess. it is too deep for a well where i am unless i have alot of money.

saying that, there are plenty of people who are happy with their 1 or 2 units(1000 litres) of water a day.

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds