Hope to make the lifestyle dream reality

More
9 years 4 months ago #34375 by heirloomgardener
Hello all, so glad i found this site... I've been living in New Zealand for nearly 5 yrs (orig from Scotland) and feel it's now time to move onto the next level and own my little butnben lifestyle block!! Hopefully somewhere in the Nelson or Marlborough area..

I have a healthy passion for horticulture and all things that involve self sufficiency, with the goal of working in balance(permaculture) with the good ship we call planet earth :)

Look forward to communicating with like minded souls..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #453257 by kindajojo
welcome, I have found that the best way to look at the LSB is not to expect to make money...that way you don't get stressed when you spend so much.

More
9 years 4 months ago #453270 by Gallowaypye
I hear that Kindajojo! Last week a voice on the radio demanded to know what I would do with six million dollars.... I heard myself saying, probably just keep farming till it was all gone!

More
9 years 4 months ago #453275 by Aquila
The only way too make a small fortune on an lsb is too start with a large one.....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

More
9 years 4 months ago #453332 by wandering free
Hi heirloomgardener, When you move 12000 miles you might as well pick the best part of NZ, that's why we are in Hope,:D but if you do come to this area make sure you have access to water or a good well, we had 10 acres at Maisey Road, Redwoods Valley, it was solid Moutere clay, with a restricted flow water supply, and no chance of ever striking water underground, it was a struggle to get any fruit trees to grow and a vegy garden would have been near impossible, we moved to 2 acres in Hope with a good well and town water supply and it will grow anything.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
9 years 4 months ago #453345 by Deanna
I ya, new to this 'lifestyle' here too, I'm not expecting to make any money, but I hope to feed the family, and just enjoying the 'Good Life' I wish you all the best in finding your plot.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
9 years 4 months ago #453499 by heirloomgardener
Thank-you so much for all your reply's...I totally agree that a lifestyle block is not about the $$$$ and more about the fulfillment of being able to feed yourself with the fruits of your hard labor..There's nothing quite like going into your garden to gather some veggies you have grown yourself or pick some fruit from your own trees!

Also a big thank-you for the advice on being careful about soil types and water flow,two of the most important aspects of owning a lifestyle block i guess..so sorry you had to sell 10 acres due to clay soil and very little water..I'm a great believer in things happens for a reason so I bet you are a lot more happier on the two acres you found..

See you all on some other threads.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds