Watercare ripoff

More
11 years 1 month ago #34140 by pctek
Watercare ripoff was created by pctek
My water bill has gone from around $60 a month to $139.
This is because of the garden watering.

I don't object to the water charge but they are charging me 78% of the water use for wastewater - at $2.28kl.
So another words.......the water on the garden is being charged as if it were going down the waste drains also.

When it was part of the rates, wastewater was a fixed charge of around $450 a year. So now it's doubled.

I contacted watercare who say they have numerous calls about it.
What are they going to do?

They say I can get a water tank - sure, I don't have the thousands of dollars for one of them. I know what they cost...

Or I can get a second meter hooked up so that it just monitors water use to hoses, and therefore would not occur the water charge.
Excellent, went off and checked prices.

The Socam 20mm meter (they use) is $144.50 + GST.
Ring them back, no, we are not allowed to install it ourselves, we must have them do it.

So I have to apply and get a quote.

Quote is:
WATER METER FOR IRRIGATION $1,180.00
WATER AND/OR WASTEWATER CONNECTION PROCESSING $122.61

Total $1,302.61
GST (15%) $195.39
Total After Tax $1,498.00

This quote after ridiculous emails back and forth asking me to send drawings, mark where it shhould go (I don't have a choice, they specify where it must go), and then get me to mark where the existing meter is on their photo.
I do this and remind them they know this already, they read it every 2 months.

Why the price on quote? Well the meter must have a backflow device. Actually, no it doesn't, they just insist it does.
Also this does not include the pipes from the meter to our hoses, we have to arrange this with our plumber. So add that onto it to.

So why the price? Because.

Bloody ripoff.

Husband rang them and one other thing they said, was as our section is only 500sqm, we couldn't have much of a garden anyway.

See here for pics:
www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/432682/9/ ?

That's not all of it either.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #451040 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Watercare ripoff
you could always install it yourself and then tell them you have done it

More
11 years 1 month ago #451043 by jimminette
Replied by jimminette on topic Watercare ripoff
There are units you can put into your spouting that will divert the water into a small garden storage tank. Given the price of the quote for Council to do their thing and the hassell - surely it would be cheaper to just set up a couple of water tanks and be done with. this way too, if you shift - you can take it with you.

More
11 years 1 month ago #451051 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic Watercare ripoff
My goodness - that's an extra $80.00 a month added to the basic costs of the veggie garden. That would buy a whole lotta veggies at the grocery market. Ripoff is right. I'd put in collection tanks as well.

• Akzle
11 years 4 weeks ago #451210 by Akzle
Replied by Akzle on topic Watercare ripoff
the easiest way to reduce your water bill, would be to dig up the line off the street, put a Y join in, reconnect your "household" water to the metered line and connect the other end of the Y to your garden lines (or just have a valved bypass and adjust so you're using a "normal" amount of water/month. and getting the rest for free.

up the corporate world, and all that.

More
11 years 4 weeks ago #451213 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Watercare ripoff
But do the work on a dark night when no-one is around. If you get caught you will be in deep trouble.

More
11 years 4 weeks ago #451222 by pctek
Replied by pctek on topic Watercare ripoff
They won't allow us to do it, there's big fines and stuff if you interfere.
Tank - well someone donated a 1000l tank, that will do 1/18th of our needs.
Every little bit I guess, can't afford a 20000l tank....wouldn't fit anyway, I had to lose a bit of garden to fit the 1000l one. Now.....rain is required....

• Akzle
11 years 4 weeks ago #451231 by Akzle
Replied by Akzle on topic Watercare ripoff

pctek;451860 wrote: They won't allow us to do it, there's big fines and stuff if you interfere.

*if you get caught

More
11 years 4 weeks ago #451232 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Watercare ripoff
Would one of those bladder style flexible tanks suit you? You may have room for one under the house or deck if you have one. It is more money to spend though.

The statement about the size of garden is probably assuming your house covers a large part of the section like so many new houses. Maximum permitted coverage because floor area is all they think of, and then a large driveway on top of that. [}:)] For a lot of people, a garden is just a thing to avoid. I was appalled at a friend's house to see how little area they had left for green stuff after their house, driveway, pool, and patios x3 covered practically all of the section!

More
11 years 4 weeks ago #451309 by pctek
Replied by pctek on topic Watercare ripoff
Can't afford it, no room anyway. I don't mind the water use and charge. I object to the wastewater rubbish.....

Section, well it's not the size is it? It's what you do with it. LOL.

We converted the section to food pretty much. So it's not like most places in towns, a garden in the back lawn. It's lots of gardens and bits and pieces.

It's pretty full really, couldn't even fir another fruit tree really, ripped out clothesline even, that took up too much space, use a rope attached from fence to deck.

(deck is tiny too, so can't even pull that out...)

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #451618 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Watercare ripoff
get a 200l drum and fill with the grey water from the washing machine then bucket this to the gardens that need it.

Dig 2litre soft drink bottles with the bottoms cut off upside down into the ground next to each plant and 1/3 fill with manure. Use these as your watering device - fill every 2nd to 3rd day. The plants shouldn't need more than this.

Mulch the garden heavily - shredded newspaper, straw etc. this will reduce the water evaporation from the soil.

Having lived in a very dry area with no town supply I learnt how to "manage" with very little spare water for the gardens. Its more work but it works...

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #451645 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Watercare ripoff
In response to the drought of 1994 in greater Auckland, we put in a storage tank. I think it was 1200 gals. It was the same time that Papakura District council sold off our water rights to that french Company, and then the watercare services and Viola began ripping us off. We were getting charged for delivery by both, for the water by Viola and by discharge from both and grey water was calculated at 80%. I objected strongly as my summer usage also doubled but they wouldn't put a meter on my garden tap, saying I'd then be dishonest and would put the garden hose in the washing machine! I was furious!. In the end we beat them at their own game, using the stored water in inventive ways. Our summer time water bill never went over $60 for each reading.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds