Moving on

More
9 years 5 months ago #34076 by Breadcrumb
Moving on was created by Breadcrumb
After three years on the wrong side of town (from my husbands work that is) we have decided to sell up and have put our 3 acre block near Feilding on the market.

We have just bought a 10 acre block in Tokomaru so I can expand into coloured sheep (thinking Arapawas?) a house cow and chooks to go with our alpacas and freezer cow. I am also itching to start a dedicated orchard as I am so sick of the alpacas eating all my apples.

We also have two preschool kids, two dogs, two cats, four beehives, and not much spare time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #450518 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Moving on

Breadcrumb;451066 wrote: ...We also have two preschool kids, two dogs, two cats, four beehives, and not much spare time.

That last bit is going to change very suddenly then! Welcome and all the best with the new plan. :)

More
9 years 5 months ago #450553 by Breadcrumb
Replied by Breadcrumb on topic Moving on
I just keep filling spare time up with new projects anyway so maybe it is better not to have too much of it.

More
9 years 5 months ago #450555 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic Moving on
Welcome to the Massey side! :D :D :D

More
9 years 5 months ago #450629 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Moving on
Black wool is extremely difficult to sell profitably, so is something I would not recommend unless you have a huge amount of spare time to make it ready for knitting, and to knit some of it, and to sell those items.

More
9 years 5 months ago #450706 by Breadcrumb
I only plan on having a few sheep to improve the pasture. Since I won't have enough sheep to make any money from the wool I thought coloured ones would look better in the paddock and I'm sure they taste the same.

We currently have some of my neighbours dorpers on our paddock to tidy it up and I hate seeing them hobbling around with their bad feet. The good feet was what attracted me to arapawas but I am by no means set on having them.

I spin and knit with my alpaca fibre and have been experimenting with making duvets and naturally tanned alpaca skin rugs too. I would like to blend some sheep fibre with alpaca for my spinning. The rest will make great mulch!

More
9 years 5 months ago #450707 by Breadcrumb

Aria;451113 wrote: Welcome to the Massey side! :D :D :D

I have to admit I am a bit scared of the wind over there. Our new place is a lot more exposed than our current one. Shelterbelts will be the first priority.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds