New member in Ashley, North Canterbury

More
9 years 5 months ago #34051 by Lightingtrev
Hi all,

My wife and I have just bought a 10 acre block in Ashley with a 4 bay barn on it and 22,000 litre tank at the gate. Power is 'at the gate' which I have now learnt means still up the pole.

Have to get power, phone and water to the building site which is 220 mtrs from the gate so busily getting prices for that. If anyone has already done this in the North Canterbury area, I would love to hear from you.

We will be living on site from tonight while we build.

Great way of discussing things with like minded people.

Thanks

Trevor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #450239 by Andrea1
Welcome, Trevor! Lots of us North Canty folks! We're not quite as far north as you, but familiar with Ashley, Sefton and Balcairn, as we've got friends all through there.

Anyway, can't help with the electricity set up, but wanted to say hi and welcome. I'm sure someone else will be along shortly.

More
9 years 5 months ago #450248 by Trace
Yep, a big cherry welcome from us as well...

More
9 years 5 months ago #450267 by Flossie
Ring Mainpower, is $32pm I think up to 100m, then goes more expensive. we also didnt realise that by saying to mainpower we wanted the electric run, we assumed we would end up with a plug.....But No! had to get temp meter in for the builders and then get a proper meter installed later by electrican. also didnt realise quote for water didnt include the electrics so that was another $1500! but we started just with a well. There are a couple of places in rangiora for water. Make sure the phone line is there to the boundary, a friend has just got stung by that in Fernside. If you need trenches dug or foundations dug, driveways etc Oran Sinclair lives in Loburn and does good job and good price, Sinclair Contracting.

Good luck. We are in and out of Rangiora all the time, if you want a visitor just say so. Have been in our house 11 months and love it. Wasn't easy but it's worth it.

~Flossie~

More
9 years 5 months ago #450320 by AlphaFemale
Hi Trevor, we have just gone through the same thing, got a quote to get power 200m from gate to building site (we have already paid 15k to get power TO the gate sigh) the contractors for our local power supply company quoted 11k to trench and cable to building site, I almost died :) so we went to the local cable shop guy and asked if we could trench ourselves and lay the cable ourselves, he gave us 2 quotes $4500 for us to do the trenching and $6000 for them to trench and lay.
Note that this cable is 30 amp supply so not enough for a house only a barn situation but may help... My advice would be to ask around don't just go with the first quote you get.

FYI decided to go with them doing the trenching, have discovered that hand trenching in clay causes my husband to swear a lot and kick machinery lol...

Hope this helps, can be quite daunting starting from scratch!

Donelle

55 wild acres in the Hunua Valley, 2 noisy burmese, 4 dogs, 11 Plymouth Barred Rocks, 3 milking goats (plus 6 kids), around 40 wild peacocks...
www.neapolitanmastiff.net.nz

More
9 years 5 months ago #450335 by Lightingtrev
Thanks for the welcome, much appreciated. Todays meeting with Mainpower went well except that we were sold with the section with 'power at the gate' by Devlins but it turns out there is no transformer on the pole 'at the gate' so the they have to hook into the closest one which is 60 metres away and we have to pay for the extra distance.

Thanks for the contacts too. Nice to know we are not alone in this quest!

Cheers

Trev

More
9 years 5 months ago #450350 by Aquila
You were sold a section with power at the gate so devlins will provide you with that or the section is not as described and you have recourse under the fair trading act

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds