More
9 years 5 months ago #34026 by KG
new member was created by KG
hi everyone,
just discovered this site, very informative and a great range of topics.
Have been on a 3 acre block in Waitoki for a year now,loving it.
Have a couple of Fresian cross heifers to keep the grass down and a few chooks.
I have a brown shaver who has been losing quite a few feathers in the last day or so,some outside and some in the laying box, any ideas why this may be, she is healthy and eating and drinking normally.
thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #449943 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic new member
welcome :)

shes proberbly starting to moult

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
9 years 5 months ago #449962 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic new member
Welcome KG. I have my first chooks too, 12 brown shavers, and am pleased I read up on moulting otherwise I would be concerned when it happens too.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
9 years 5 months ago #450198 by KG
Replied by KG on topic new member
thanks for the advice,
I have discovered some mites that I have been treating.
Feather loss quite bad, looks on the mend.

More
9 years 5 months ago #450212 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic new member
Some chooks just look REALLY bad when they moult, almost as if they've had a great big sneeze and blew off all their feathers at one go! I have a few who do that, and look just awful for a wee while. But they're the ones who also grow back their feathers rather quickly. You can help them get the new feathers in by supplementing with plain yoghurt and seaweed meal, along with some fresh garlic. To one cup of plain yoghurt, I add 1 tbsp of seaweed meal and a couple of cloves of crushed garlic. They LOVE it. They have that in addition to their layers' feed and barley.

For mites I dust with sulphur powder and make sure you have a clean chook house. I've found that dried wormwood helps keep them away from the coop.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

More
9 years 5 months ago #450229 by jimminette
Replied by jimminette on topic new member
Andrea - this magical Seaweed meal you speak of - I've made some enquiries around here and can't find it. where do you get yours from??????

More
9 years 5 months ago #450238 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic new member
I can't think of a single farm supply place around here that DOESN'T sell it. I use it for the chooks (at times), the goats and cattle beasts (all the time), and even the piggy gets it when she's lactating or growing piglets. I think maybe the CRT in Darfield doesn't sell it, but any place that's the least bit equine-oriented should have it....

More
9 years 5 months ago #450708 by bevhawkins
Replied by bevhawkins on topic new member
Hi where in Waitoki are you? We are off Rapson Road:)
:D

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds