Underway in Invercargill.

More
9 years 5 months ago #33963 by linkzmum
Hi
We're on a 5 acre block in Invercargill. :D We've had one area, which previous owners had as lawn, fenced off and the rest as one paddock waiting to be cut - probably for silage by a local farmer this year, was to be hay but we don't have a shed yet to store it :( .
Currently have our two weaned goat wethers and four mixed breed ewe lambs plus grazing 4 lambs, 2 ewes and a hogget for a friend temporarily. Plan to get a couple of chooks and looking at Wiltshire sheep - thinking 3 ewe lambs soon, and 3 in lamb ewes in autumn which means we shouldn't need a ram until the following year.
Would love a couple of smaller cattle beasts at some stage but really need the shed and yards before we do that.
I' ve read with interest the info on fallowing and using those paddocks as standing hay for the winter and am keen to try that.
Putting in native shelter around the house section at the moment and plan to do similar on some boundaries as time goes on and develop a boggy area into a pond/wetland with native plantings too in time.
Plenty to keep us going! I think the LSB website and forums are going to be very handy. Also appreciate any feedback/suggestions on our plans especially from people down this way.
Just loving being out of town and with views to Stewart Island and the estuary (just a bit of water) who can complain!
Linkzmum

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #449346 by goatmama
Replied by goatmama on topic Underway in Invercargill.
Hi Inkzmum,
Welcome to the site.I take it you must be out near the airport? We also have Stewart Island views but we are at Round Hill, just past Colac Bay. It is a lovely view though.
Like you we have paddocks fallow and use the standing hay for the wiltshires to winter on. They don't (or didn't use to untill they saw the goats eating it) eat hay and are a dawdle to look after. We might (after speaking to my husband) even have some surplus ewes. Our ram lambs are for sale, just haven't yet placed an add on TM.
This site has been a wealth of info to us and I am sure many others over our time on the block. There are many knowlegable folk out there. Have fun with your little bit of paradise.

10 acres in sunny Southland. Husband and 3 boys. 17 Wilties, "Clucky quarters" 2 doz + chooks, rouen clair ducks, Coffee our Irish Terrier and Kaz and Mooch our wee Kitty's. Our Big White Shepherd, Nena. Bennie and Mo the moos
Prov 27:27

More
9 years 5 months ago #449363 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Underway in Invercargill.
Welcome Linkzmum. Your views sound wonderful. Mr D would be envious he loves the water. We have only been on our block since mid Dec. We are wondering what to do with a lot of empty paddocks and the grass in them in the mean time. Real green here, not the grass.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
9 years 5 months ago #449368 by linkzmum
Replied by linkzmum on topic Underway in Invercargill.
Hey, thanks for the welcome! Actually we're south invercargill - just off Avon Road so we really only see a bit of water and Steward Island has Greenhills in front of it but hey if you'd told me even 2 years ago that I'd be on 5 acres with views out there I would have laughed and yet here we are. Actually been here since April but haven't done a lot in that time - paddocks needed a good rest anyway.

More
9 years 5 months ago #449391 by goatmama
Replied by goatmama on topic Underway in Invercargill.
Still sounds nice Inkzmum. Our paddocks at the moment are almost mid theigh for half of them. Too rough to put a tractor over so they have to be left standing. The animals cann't keep up but better to have too much than not enough.

10 acres in sunny Southland. Husband and 3 boys. 17 Wilties, "Clucky quarters" 2 doz + chooks, rouen clair ducks, Coffee our Irish Terrier and Kaz and Mooch our wee Kitty's. Our Big White Shepherd, Nena. Bennie and Mo the moos
Prov 27:27

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds