Advise on limping ewe

More
9 years 5 months ago #33942 by Basil
Advise on limping ewe was created by Basil
Hi all, we've finally got our flock of Wiltshire sheep. 4 ewes and 1 ram. As we are first time livestock owners and we've got problem with one ewe already.
It started limping 2 days ago and now it holds the back leg in the air.Checked the hoofs and they look fine,but the hock is very swollen ,and warm to touch .Can't get a vet here till Tuesday. So what would anyone advise to do till then?? Any suggestions would be great.
Barbara

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #449101 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Advise on limping ewe
In the absence of a better description, other than what you have given, i would give it the homeopathic arnica, which could help bring the swelling down if it is from bruising or similar.
If there is infection there, as there well could be given there is heat, then probably a vet visit would be in order or antibiotics administered
I was thinking if you only just got the sheep it might have injured its leg and hence the need for arnica possibly

More
9 years 5 months ago #449106 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Advise on limping ewe
Do you have a bottle of PVP Iodine in a spray bottle? If not then get one because it is the best magic that you will get at a reasonable price. As well as being magical, it is also an antiseptic so is used to sterilise wounds, sores, hands when birthing a ewe, the umbilicals of the newborn lambs, and as a first preventative to treat sore feet in sheep, goats, donkeys and horses. The cows seldom get sore feet, so if they do they get something more powerful, because lifting a cows foot is very difficult so you want to do it as seldom as possible. Ooops, rambling .....
Put the sheep in the shearing position if you cannot lift it's leg as a farrier would do.
Get the hoof shears (or otherwise the sharp scissor-action garden secateurs), and trim all the hooves, stating with the good ones - this is important.
Check between the hooves for undermined soles and black hollows which might or might not have rot in them. This is "footrot" and should be cut back as much as possible to open the rot to the air. The rot bugs don't like air. Take small chunks and slices until you get down to the pink, but not as far as the blood. Spray with the iodine, then get some Aerotet Forte antibiotic spray from the vet.
Check for "scald" by looking at the bottom of the groove for dampness and whiteness, and some scabbiness. This is very painful, so the sheep will fight. Try to open the hoof up, because this bug does not like air either. I cut a bit of the sole away so that the groove is more open. Again, spray liberally.
After treating rot or scald, spray the hoof clippers with iodine before you start on the next sheep.
It is much cheaper to take the sheep to the vet than vice versa, but unless the vet knows your property then he/she will want to view it to be able to give good advice.

More
9 years 5 months ago #449122 by Basil
Replied by Basil on topic Advise on limping ewe
Great advise. Thank you all.
We trimmed the hoofs yesterday and checked for scald and footrot,and there seems no signs of it. But we didn't spray with iodine.I'll have to get some.
We've put her in a corner of the paddock yesterday.This morning she is eating a lot and putting a bit of weight on the foot. I hope it's only an injury and will heal soon by itself.
Has somebody given there sheep vitamin C ?Ive read a bit about it and it should be better than giving antibiotics.
thanks again for your advice
Barbara

More
9 years 5 months ago #449128 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Advise on limping ewe
it is unusual for a wilti to have feet problems, however if your flock just arrived, how were they transported? have they been pushing eachother around in the new paddock? is the ram in with them. Were they calm or a bit panicy?
If they arrived on a truck or trailer how far did they travel?
They usually look ok when they arrive then once they settle they get stiff and sore from any bruising. If it is not improving daily then talk with the vet, I assume that the leg is not broken, My sheep will have limps that appear and disappear over a couple of days usually due to them being stupid.

More
9 years 5 months ago #449129 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Advise on limping ewe
If the heat is in the hock region then i would expect it had nothing to do with feet thats why I suggested arnica in case there was bruising from travelling. You will find if it is starting to improve that it is not an infection but some sort of damage to the leg that will heal itself.
I know of someone taking Vitamin C for an incurable condition via traditional medicine. He has done a lot of research on it and has found for it to be really effective it is best intraveneous.
I doubt anyone has done research on its use in sheep and dosage would be a really big issue. Too much can create scours which might start up a new set of issues for you

More
9 years 5 months ago #449132 by Basil
They arrived on a trailer and had to travel 2 hours.We had them about a month and a half now. When we first got them the same sheep limping now also was limping when coming off the trailer , not as bad and it was ok in a couple of days. It also had a small cut on its back ,which has healed now. The ram is in the same paddoch as the ewes and they had a bit of a runaround a few days back. May be she is prone to have a weakness in her leg. I have been reading about arthritis and i hope it's not that.

More
9 years 5 months ago #449133 by Basil
Thanks, Muri
I will get some Arnica .Sound good.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds