Urban lifestyle

More
9 years 6 months ago #33882 by Emma Horsley
Urban lifestyle was created by Emma Horsley
I feel a bit of a fraud here as we only have a quarter acre but we are using it as much as a lifestyle block as we can. One day we'll have more room and then I can have some pigs.
We have a small flock of a dozen chooks for eggs, a 50 square metre vege garden, large herb garden and small orchard of apple, pear, peach, necatrine, apricot, plum, fig, cherry and quince trees. Plus a berry patch of blackcurrants, redcurrants, raspberries, gooseberries, boysenberries, tayberries and blackberries.
We've also planted a few pinot noir vines to have a play with wine making.
I'm eyeing up the front garden to see what else I can put in to eat and there's a pizza oven being built.
We make our own bread, cheese, preserves and plum wine and I grow seedlings in the greenhouse to sell on which pays for my fertiliser and seed raising mix. And eggs and plum wine get swapped over the garden fence for yoghurt and venison.
Would be great to hear from anyoe else doing it with under an acre.

Emma
Horsley Cottage
horsleycottage.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #448612 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Urban lifestyle
It's the "Lifestyle" that is important, not so much the "Block".

I'm just back from 13 months (would have been longer, but stuff happened) in china, living in multistory apartment buildings in the middle of a city twice the population of NZ. Others here live on what some insist on calling "proper" farms.

What is important is you have the lifestyle you want on your block, be it 32,000 acres or as small as 32 square metres like my CQ apartment.

So don't feel a fraud :D I was far more of a fraud than you were while I was overseas :D and no-one ragged me about being a fraud :P

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
9 years 6 months ago #448614 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Urban lifestyle
Damn. [}:)]

Welcome, Emma. It sounds like you do a great deal with what you have! More land generally means less time to do the sorts of things you describe, which are often why people want to go rural in the first place. You may have the best of both worlds. :)

More
9 years 6 months ago #448616 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Urban lifestyle
When i lived in the city on 1800sq m all up i had a plant nursery which sold plants and herbs and I mail ordered around the country, grew all our own vegies plus surplus for friends and swaps, and sold organic herbs to the local health food shop and swapped as well.
I also had organic certification
So as stated above, size is not important, its how you utilise what you have

More
9 years 6 months ago #448659 by Emma Horsley
Replied by Emma Horsley on topic Urban lifestyle
Guess it's true what guys say then, size really doesn't matter it's what you do with it that counts :P
I must admit we do a lot with this little patch and a larger block would only be possible to run if one of us wasn't working full time.
We certainly have the lifestyle and yes Ruth I reckon we do have the best of both worlds. Just been to pick up some Silver Campine eggs to add to the flock.

Emma
Horsley Cottage
horsleycottage.com/

More
9 years 6 months ago #448690 by The dream
Replied by The dream on topic Urban lifestyle
Hi Emma
Welcome. I remember someone setting me straight while I was complaining about our 2 year search for a LSB. She asked me what I wanted to achieve on a block. "Be more self sufficient" Seemed obvious to me! What's stopping you then? was her response. In other words its the values and ideals that are more important than the land size. Obviously you may be limited in what you can do with your land.ie no larger animals, but you can absolutely grow and preserve your own produce and learn a lot!
The Good Life by Linda Cockburn is a fabulous book about what can be achieved on a small urban section.

The man at the top of the hill didn't fall there! [:D][^]

7 acres, 10 sheep, 1 cow, 10 chooks, 4 goats, 3 very spoilt cats. Living the dream.

More
9 years 6 months ago #448719 by Minky2
Replied by Minky2 on topic Urban lifestyle
I'm more of a 'fraud' than you Emma so don't worry! We only have a tiny 700 m section (had a quarter acre before that), but I have crammed onto it, feijoas, strawberries, tomatoes, herbs, 26 rose bushes, 15 Rhododendrons, 200 bedding plants, 2 large dogs, a cat, tropical fish, plus I keep a horse on leased land around the corner whenever I have the time, so yes, perhaps the best of both worlds. It's amazing what you can do with a quarter acre, when we had ours I had two huge aviaries, free range rabbits, plus the fruit and vegs.

Look forward to hearing more about your 'mini LSB'

More
9 years 6 months ago #448754 by cantabcook
Replied by cantabcook on topic Urban lifestyle
We are much the same as you Emma (but not quite as efficient in terms of space). Just under 1/4 acre here at the moment and a few raised vege gardens, small glasshouse, tonnes of strawberry plants for the fruit monsters (kids). Fruit trees are feijoas, pears, apple, apricot (just got the chop as it didn't crop!), black boy peach, golden queen peach (its a dud though), cranberries, rhubarb. Tonnes of extra pots filled with herbs, tomatoes and anything else I can find.

Problem is I only got into the vege growing and preserving thing AFTER we had designed and landscaped the property. So now I need more space to really be able to grow what I want and have room for chooks (without losing our sons cricket pitch/soccer run area), a big orchard and berries. We so love berries and pick and freeze heaps but currently have to pay for them.

People are still amazed at how much produce I can get out of our current plot though. And nearly all of it gets eaten, preserved, frozen or given to friends and family. Sounds like you have done an awesome job on your property with more than some lsbs I've seen around!

More
9 years 5 months ago #449508 by Emma Horsley
Replied by Emma Horsley on topic Urban lifestyle
Here's the vege garden that feeds the house and most of the neighbours too

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/449942=11689-garden small.jpg[/img]

Emma
Horsley Cottage
horsleycottage.com/

More
9 years 5 months ago #449520 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Urban lifestyle
It is amazing what can be done on next to no land if one is determined. When my wife's elderly parents moved from seven rural acres to an eighth of an acre in town the first thing to go was the majority of the lawn for conversion to a vegetable garden. This was very productive for a time until age and infirmity finally overtook them.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds