Have a bore, would you retrieve your rain water as well?

More
9 years 7 months ago #33627 by Deanna
On the property we have just bought is a recently done new bore. But we will have a huge roof area of rain water going to waste. Would you bother capturing it or would that be a waste of time and money?[?][?][?]

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #445756 by igor
I would capture the rainwater if financially possible just because I don't like to rely on a single source of supply. In many areas the rain water is often of better quality than the bore water also.

More
9 years 7 months ago #445758 by reggit
Personally I would collect the rainwater, don't trust bores, and who knows what will happen in some areas with allocation of groundwater takes...?

And rainwater often nicer than bore water :D

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
9 years 7 months ago #445759 by wandering free
It would depend on the bore and how much the aquifer is being used by others, and if you are in an area that's prone to droughts, also if it's your only water supply.

Did they give you a flow chart, it will give info on flow rates and pull down, these usually improve with use, but if you have a high water table and a deep bore I would be inclined to save my money.

Just as an example our water table can pull down 20ft in summer.

Edit, if you haven't experience of bores something that is worth doing is insulate deep well pumps so no metal can touch the side of the bore, might not matter if it's stainless steel, but I've seen wells rendered useless by corrosion, it's that or move it every 12mths to break any contact.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
9 years 7 months ago #445765 by Deanna
Thanks guys, no I am not familiar with bores, I just know this one has been done, sunk, bored, lol recently. 'Wandering Free' good advice, will have to make enquiries with those in the know, as to what you are referring too. All I saw was big pipes coming out of the ground, all lagged. Really conveying my newbienish now aren't I. The owners will be on the property with us for a while, and they have all the paperwork, so hopefully 'flow charts' so have some homework to do.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
9 years 7 months ago #445771 by Aquila
Rainwater is close too the house already. How far is the bore from the house as bore water needs too be pumped everywhere. You'd be a fool to turn down something for free.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

More
9 years 7 months ago #445778 by kai
if using an electric pump, it obviously costs you to pump, whereas rain water is free.

More
9 years 7 months ago #445779 by muri

kai;445807 wrote: if using an electric pump, it obviously costs you to pump, whereas rain water is free.

Rain water also needs a pump or there will be no pressure, so nothing is free

Without a test of the qualities of the bore water you will not really know the answer

More
9 years 7 months ago #445789 by wandering free
This has info on roof water collection, might be worth a read if you decide to install it.

www.healthed.govt.nz/resource/water-coll...safe-household-water

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,

More
9 years 7 months ago #445802 by Deanna

Aquila;445800 wrote: Rainwater is close too the house already. How far is the bore from the house as bore water needs too be pumped everywhere. You'd be a fool to turn down something for free.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

The bore is about 4 metres from the house.

More
9 years 7 months ago #445806 by reggit
Rainwater needs a pump to get it to the house and around. Bore needs pump to get it out of the ground into the tank and then the pump to get it around the house...doesn't it? If so, that's twice the power usage (roughly)...

I could be totally wrong here and I'm sure someone will tell me if I am, but that is what I thought was the case...? I also thought that a bore requires a separate pump to get the water to the tank...as well as a 'normal' pump to get it from tank around house when taps are turned on...??

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
9 years 6 months ago #445837 by wandering free

tigger;445839 wrote: Rainwater needs a pump to get it to the house and around. Bore needs pump to get it out of the ground into the tank and then the pump to get it around the house...doesn't it? If so, that's twice the power usage (roughly)...

I could be totally wrong here and I'm sure someone will tell me if I am, but that is what I thought was the case...? I also thought that a bore requires a separate pump to get the water to the tank...as well as a 'normal' pump to get it from tank around house when taps are turned on...??

You only need 1 pump, ours has a pressure tank and a demand switch that switches on when the pressure drops, some systems don't have a pressure tank, but even then it's better to have one, they stop cycling if you have a small leak.

More
9 years 6 months ago #445838 by Aquila
Guess it really depends on what you have and how much you use. Are you on allocated water or town supply? Pay for water? Dry summers but wet springs and autumns? In a decent tank you can store water indefinitely.

More
9 years 6 months ago #445850 by Deanna

wandering free;445871 wrote: You only need 1 pump, ours has a pressure tank and a demand switch that switches on when the pressure drops, some systems don't have a pressure tank, but even then it's better to have one, they stop cycling if you have a small leak.

Guess I'll be looking into that, I have lots to learn, and absorb. Thanks.

More
9 years 6 months ago #445974 by kindajojo
I am with Tigger, depending on the bore, there is a pump to pump it to the tank and a pressure pump from the tank to the house (2 pumps).
So if the house tank is fed from rain water only the pressure pump is required.
How old is the bore ..how reliable is the pump, and depending on your section you can gravity feed to troughs...you can never have too much fresh water

Also remember water in the event of fire...if the fire is in the pump you are pretty buggared but a fire appliance can pump from a tank

Time to create page: 0.291 seconds