Hi all - newbie here!

More
9 years 7 months ago #33615 by clemclan
Hello everyone, I'm kind of a newbie, I've been here before, but a long time ago and since then been incredibly busy. My family and I live in Canterbury where we have ten acres of lovely land with an old kiwi villa that we're renovating to bring it back to it's former glory.

We have a lovely farmer who puts his sheep in our paddock, so that's taken care of and we have fourteen chooks, a rooster, a cat, a dog and two guinea pigs - so that's enough for now! We love having fresh eggs and so do our neighbours!

I've started my veggie patch and have had my first harvest of cauliflower, broccoli and lettuce and lots of seedlings on the go too. My wonderful hubbie has built us an awesome greenhouse where my tomatoes are underway.

Originally from England, we've been here for over five years now and we're loving our rural life, learning new things all the time.

Looking forward to learning lots more from this great site! Have good day everyone :)

- Freelance Proofreader, Editor & Writer

chickens, ducks, dog, cat and guinea pigs! [;)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #445631 by cantabcook
Replied by cantabcook on topic Hi all - newbie here!
Welcome clemclan. We are newbies too and not yet on our block (still daydreaming and waiting for title). Sounds like you are off to a great start with your veges and greenhouse. I managed to do that on our (almost) 1/4 acre block here but then started on fruit trees and bushes. Out of room now so a 10 acre block beckons and I'll never have to choose which vege not to plant again! :)

More
9 years 7 months ago #445655 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Hi all - newbie here!
Welcome clemclan, very newbie here, about to head to Dunsandel before Christmas, one cat so far. Hoping for chickens, bees, a few lawn mowers, two pigs, a tunnel house and to plant some fruit trees.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
9 years 7 months ago #445672 by Flossie
Replied by Flossie on topic Hi all - newbie here!
Welcome, we are 9 months in and loving it, have asked a few questions on here, got quite a bit of info one way and another. Good luck. Been here from England for nearly 7 years, just went back for the first time....it blooming awful!

~Flossie~

More
9 years 7 months ago #445711 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hi all - newbie here!
Welcome back :-)

More
9 years 6 months ago #445819 by clemclan
Replied by clemclan on topic Hi all - newbie here!

cantabcook;445649 wrote: Welcome clemclan. We are newbies too and not yet on our block (still daydreaming and waiting for title). Sounds like you are off to a great start with your veges and greenhouse. I managed to do that on our (almost) 1/4 acre block here but then started on fruit trees and bushes. Out of room now so a 10 acre block beckons and I'll never have to choose which vege not to plant again! :)

Thank you cantabcook, fruit trees sound good - we have a couple but would definitely like more in the future. It's great to have the veggie garden going, so much more to do though! [;)] Good luck with getting on your block!

More
9 years 6 months ago #445821 by clemclan

Flossie;445694 wrote: Welcome, we are 9 months in and loving it, have asked a few questions on here, got quite a bit of info one way and another. Good luck. Been here from England for nearly 7 years, just went back for the first time....it blooming awful!

Glad to hear you went back and thought it was awful! [;)] I haven't been back yet, so I can't comment, but I'm sure I'd feel the same!

More
9 years 6 months ago #445822 by clemclan

Deanna;445674 wrote: Welcome clemclan, very newbie here, about to head to Dunsandel before Christmas, one cat so far. Hoping for chickens, bees, a few lawn mowers, two pigs, a tunnel house and to plant some fruit trees.

Thank you Deanna, I like your enthusiasm and I'm sure you'll get round to doing the lot! :)

More
9 years 6 months ago #445848 by Deanna

clemclan;445855 wrote: Thank you Deanna, I like your enthusiasm and I'm sure you'll get round to doing the lot! :)

Ha ha, enthusiasm is now looking at Alpacas! Off to a Bee Keepers meeting tomorrow.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
9 years 6 months ago #445849 by Negodil
Replied by Negodil on topic Hi all - newbie here!
Welcome. We arrived form UK 4 years ago and now have 8 acres in Temuka, SC. We haven't missed UK, did go back after 1year and within twenty minutes knew why we left! We breed alpaca and have 23, newest born just 7 days ago and 6 more cria expected. I can recommend them as a small business or as pets.

Fairhaven Alpacas, breeding champion Suri alpaca in Temuka

More
9 years 6 months ago #445851 by Deanna

Negodil;445884 wrote: Welcome. We arrived form UK 4 years ago and now have 8 acres in Temuka, SC. We haven't missed UK, did go back after 1year and within twenty minutes knew why we left! We breed alpaca and have 23, newest born just 7 days ago and 6 more cria expected. I can recommend them as a small business or as pets.

They are something we are looking at too. Any suggestions gratefully accepted. The Suri sound great.

More
9 years 6 months ago #445859 by Negodil
Replied by Negodil on topic Hi all - newbie here!

Deanna;445886 wrote: They are something we are looking at too. Any suggestions gratefully accepted. The Suri sound great.

A herd of Suri alpaca in fleece running around a paddock is an amazing sight, and the fleece has a fantastic lustre. If you are interested in them you'd be welcome to pop down to Temuka to see ours and talk over what's involved, which is not much compared to other livestock - very easy to look after. Contact details are on the Fairhaven Alpacas website.

Fairhaven Alpacas, breeding champion Suri alpaca in Temuka

More
9 years 6 months ago #445888 by Deanna
Thanks Negodil, I've taken a look, and had already researched the breed, their coat is amazing. Busy packing at present but will for sure keep a visit in mind thank you.

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds