Are we mad

More
11 years 4 months ago #446961 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Are we mad
yes, you are mad .....but then again all the interesting people are...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #447063 by Runamuck
Replied by Runamuck on topic Are we mad
Welcome! Actually think it helps to be a little mad, and frankly I'm glad we are not the only ones!!! We have 88 acres of mainly bush and scrub in the Far North which we are slowly developing and, fingers crossed, this time next year we will be ready to live there full time. At the moment financial committments mean we work in the big smoke and commute at the weekends... and we too have fallen into the trap of letting our enthusiasm overtake us and taking on more than we can manage and planting things without adequate provision for water, or protection against ravenous possums and hares, which gets costly if you've planted 100+ trees!

I think the advice above is sound - and I also think that regardless of age, if you don't do what you want to, while you can, well then you never do, and life is too short for "what if's" and regrets. Good on you :)

More
11 years 4 months ago #447133 by ffrost3
Replied by ffrost3 on topic Are we mad

Runamuck;447216 wrote: Welcome! Actually think it helps to be a little mad, and frankly I'm glad we are not the only ones!!! We have 88 acres of mainly bush and scrub in the Far North which we are slowly developing and, fingers crossed, this time next year we will be ready to live there full time. At the moment financial committments mean we work in the big smoke and commute at the weekends... and we too have fallen into the trap of letting our enthusiasm overtake us and taking on more than we can manage and planting things without adequate provision for water, or protection against ravenous possums and hares, which gets costly if you've planted 100+ trees!

I think the advice above is sound - and I also think that regardless of age, if you don't do what you want to, while you can, well then you never do, and life is too short for "what if's" and regrets. Good on you :)

How do you find the commute up there? I am interested in buying a plot in the far North (if our section here doestn come off), but I hear that once you get over the 3 hour drive mark the interest starts to dissolve. Have you found that?

Watched the land I wanted come up for sale
Viewed it with the agent
Found out there was an offer in on the property contigent on the sale of a house
Sold my house first
Negotiated an offer
Offer was accepted
Waiting 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 days cash-out clause to expire... they came up with the money. Back to square 1

More
11 years 4 months ago #447320 by Runamuck
To be honest, the first time we went up there I wondered where on earth we were going; it seemed to be in the back of beyond and then some! I guess for the first 6 months or so the drive seemed endless, but now that we've been doing it for so long it doesn't seem to take any time at all and we hardly notice the drive. Takes us about 4.5 hours I guess. Mind you we are up at 4am (ish) and try to be on the road by 5am so we miss all the traffic, otherwise it's a nightmare (there always seem to be endless roadworks!).

If you do end up buying up there (and it's fabulous), make sure you have at least one economical vehicle! On the trips where we need to tow we have to take the trusty Nissan Safari - sadly she's not the diesel version and so doesn't pass many petrol stations!

:)

More
11 years 4 months ago #447321 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Are we mad
I do the drive to Auckland from time to time and it takes a nicely divided four hours - an hour to Ohaeawai, another to Whangarei, one to Wellsford and the last hour to Auckland (except for trips like last week's, where the motorway was travelling at first-gear speed). I used to come up most weekends, and it took longer then. The passing lanes are better now, along with the motorway extension speeding up the first bit of the trip from Auckland.

If you go somewhere on the east coast and have to travel H'way 10, the other traffic may remain with you in the last hour of your trip. Up the No.1 we're often on our own from Pakaraka north.

I admit to a few mental-health sick days when I used to come up for weekends. Sunday evening would arrive and I'd find I simply couldn't go back to Auckland.

More
11 years 4 months ago #447323 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Are we mad
Yes you are mad. The term "Life SENTENCE Block" was not made because it is always fun. You are likely to get stomach upsets until your bodies are used to the bacteria in your water supply :-(.
Welcome, you will have an experience, and I hope it will be mostly very good.

More
11 years 4 months ago #447324 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Are we mad

LongRidge;447495 wrote: Yes you are mad. The term "Life SENTENCE Block" was not made because it is always fun. You are likely to get stomach upsets until your bodies are used to the bacteria in your water supply :-(.
Welcome, you will have an experience, and I hope it will be mostly very good.

LR, is that why you can only do it once a week?

I've only ever had stomach upsets from water supplies when I accidentally drank downstream from a dead cow! You're so negative! Not all water supplies are "dirty".

More
11 years 4 months ago #447333 by LongRidge
After I have spent all week cutting down the totara trees so that those horrible squarky birds that Dr Brian Edwards so dislikes don't torment me, once a week is far too often. You need lots of energy to trim sheep, goats and donkeys feet ..... but the farrier at The Donkey Sanctuary does it 20 times per day. Too much for me. I have only 17 donkeys feet to trim, but that takes at least 3 days. One of the penalties of this Life Sentence :-(

More
11 years 4 months ago #447348 by Runamuck
Ruth, we can sooooooo relate to your mental health days!!! Lost count of the number of times we are driving back to Auckland and we look at each other and say "remind me again of why we are going back?"

LR, maybe a filter system would help your tummy? We run purely gravity fed water direct from a stream through a jumbo 20 micron coarse filter and then to a separate 0.2 micron carbon filter for the kitchen sink and drinking water. Never had a problem once in 15 years, just have to change the filter every 6 mths or so to get rid of the silt build up. :)

More
11 years 4 months ago #447353 by LongRidge
That is certainly something that every new LSB owner should consider, especially if they are young, old, immuno-compromised (as in "pregnant"), especially if they have guests that are likely to be. The bugs don't bother me much because I only consume water that has been heated or has been sterilised with alcohol :-).

More
11 years 4 months ago #447462 by jimminette
Replied by jimminette on topic Are we mad

LongRidge;447531 wrote: ... The bugs don't bother me much because I only consume water that has been heated or has been sterilised with alcohol :-).

LOL - didn't think of sterilising it with alcohol

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds