About to take the plunge.

More
9 years 8 months ago #445407 by newby chch

Deanna;445382 wrote: Just to let you know, today on our 36th wedding anniversary we found out we have our new home, on 25 acres in Dunsandel, so we are celebrating.

Congrates on both events. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #445854 by Negodil
Replied by Negodil on topic About to take the plunge.
Congrats Deanna and welcome to both LSB and the lifestyle. Everyone around the ChCh area deserves some good times, down here in Temuka it was pretty uncomfortable but nothing like you have been through.

The forum is useful so ask for advice and you will get a lot. Enjoy your new lifestyle. You will almost certainly make mistakes but just keep going, it's worth it.

Fairhaven Alpacas, breeding champion Suri alpaca in Temuka

More
9 years 8 months ago #447161 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic About to take the plunge.
Saturdays 15th Dec is the day, we are moving onto our 25 acre block at Dunsadel. So if your nearby, hello neighbour. Finally owning our own home again after 22 months of 'Limbo Land'. Is very tiring and exciting all at the same time.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
9 years 8 months ago #447164 by kate
Replied by kate on topic About to take the plunge.
Congratulations and welcome to the crazy world of lifestyle farming :D

Web Goddess

More
9 years 8 months ago #447167 by Deanna
Thanks Kate, very exciting, better go and buy some red bands.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
9 years 8 months ago #447169 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic About to take the plunge.
If you want them to last, don't buy Redbands, buy Bullseye!

More
9 years 8 months ago #447172 by Deanna
OK Ruth, got it!

More
9 years 8 months ago #447212 by igor
Replied by igor on topic About to take the plunge.
I have a pair of worn out Redbands with extra holes that I wear in Summer because they are comfortable but I wear Perth gumboots in the wet. The mud gets deep here. You might get away with the short ones all year round in Canterbury though.

More
9 years 8 months ago #447273 by FarmerAl
Replied by FarmerAl on topic About to take the plunge.
Congrats! No looking back now! We're 'newbies' on the land as well and the learning curve is steep! You'll learn so much real quick and won't ever understand how you had neighbors in the city so close!
Don't buy into the gumboot saga! Go with comfort and of course price! I have some Bata Industries that I have had for a while (bunnings in Australia) whereas my wife went fashion and got Hunter. That way she can step off the farm straight into Ballantines if necessary!
Have fun, enjoy, and ask questions where you want or need to!! :)

More
9 years 8 months ago #447281 by Negodil
Replied by Negodil on topic About to take the plunge.
To add fuel to "gumbootgate", I prefer John Bulls to gumboots. Very comfortable for wearing all day. Just make sure you look after them with beeswax and polish, and don't leave them in the sun. They'll stay waterproof then.

Fairhaven Alpacas, breeding champion Suri alpaca in Temuka

More
9 years 8 months ago #447329 by ZummersetGirl
Hope the move has gone well and that you're not too exhausted. :)

More
9 years 7 months ago #448995 by Deanna
Update: On the 15th Dec, we moved onto our 25 acre block in Dunsandel. Over 2 weeks later, a newly built chook house, and 12 point of lay brown shavers installed. Next the dog kennel and run, for the rescue pup. So nice to nail a nail in where ever I like after 22 months of limbo after the earth quake. We have had all aspects of summer weather since we got here, nor westers, baking 35% days, and misty and cloudy ones. All awesome.

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds