Another Newbie saying Hi and no doubt asking dumb questions!

More
9 years 7 months ago #33358 by AlphaFemale
Just wanted to say Hi and see who is out there in cyberspace.

We have bought 20Ha in Hunua and are currently erecting a barn dwelling (to be finished Feb 2013 if the council will get its A into G) to perch in while we build our house.

We have come from 5ac in the Waikato which to be honest we didnt do much with (leased out grazing mainly)

Super excited about 55ac bordered by mature Pine Trees with flat and rolling valley contours. Peacocks roam the forest and Im getting used to the calls and love them! Seen the boy around a couple of times but hes very timid and runs into the forest :(

Big plans once the gorse is cleared and paddocks fenced. We hope to build up a fold of Highland cattle and run a few suffolk sheep also. Immediate priority once moving in is the Barred Rock Girls as I cannot stand buying eggs at the blardy supermarket!

Oh and I breed, raise and show champion Neapolitan Mastiffs. Check out my website to see my big boy Leo 2x NZ champion show dog and due to be a daddy for the first time next week! Do not be fooled, in the right hands these dogs can be very well behaved and a great family dog, in the wrong hands they can be a lethal weapon...

2 kids 10 and 7 and another baby due Feb 14th 2013 (oops :o) My daughter is a horse freak and so will need ALOT of advice once the time comes to getting her pony, shes taking lessons atm at the local riding school and thats enough for me for now.

Sorry for going on and on, Im sure you will get to know thats how I am! [;)]

Will be asking tons of dumb questions but happy to offer doggy advice if needed also (I moonlight as a dog behaviourist, nursing pays the bills, dogs is the fun stuff!)

Talk soon

Donelle :p

55 wild acres in the Hunua Valley, 2 noisy burmese, 4 dogs, 11 Plymouth Barred Rocks, 3 milking goats (plus 6 kids), around 40 wild peacocks...
www.neapolitanmastiff.net.nz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #443072 by igor
Hi Donelle. Welcome to the site. A friend of my brother had Mastiffs years ago, probably still has some. As you say, lovely dogs if well trained. Good for hunting and gaurd duty too. Wild peafowl in the forest are a bonus for you. I'm told they make good eating. Prepare as for turkey, swan, or goose.

More
9 years 7 months ago #443074 by AlphaFemale
Thats what my husband says Igor, however I like them and actually like the calls (although its not close to the house), if they start annoying me then they can go in the pot lol otherwise Im happy to have them around!

Guard duty - yes. Hunting - hmmm too lazy and dumb :)

55 wild acres in the Hunua Valley, 2 noisy burmese, 4 dogs, 11 Plymouth Barred Rocks, 3 milking goats (plus 6 kids), around 40 wild peacocks...
www.neapolitanmastiff.net.nz

More
9 years 7 months ago #443336 by LongRidge
Hi AF and welcome. Because no-one else has said it yet .... in farming there are absolutely no stupid questions, except for the one that you should have asked but didn't :-). Many of us give suggestions .... note "suggestions" ..... because we have found something that works for us, which the receiver of the suggestion might like to consider before he/she learns the hard way, or makes their animal learn the hard way :-)

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds