Chihuahuas and All

More
9 years 8 months ago #33277 by starborn
Chihuahuas and All was created by starborn
Hi everyone,

Just joined up now and wanted to say Hello. You'll all get to know me really well, as I'll be the one asking all the really dumb questions.
I am buying a lifestyle in Matamata (does 1 acre count as a lifestyle, or just a really big section?), but don't move in until January. Thought I better figure out what I'm doing before I start doing it, and ask first before I'm sitting in dung with my gumboots full of sheep dip wondering what went wrong. :confused:

Have lived my whole life in Auckland so the Rural experience will be totally new for me.
I am a Chihuahua breeder and will be taking all my little darlings with me, along with my 3 kids, should be FUN !!!
Luckly the house is fenced off from the 3 small paddocks, as my plan is to get a couple of Alpacas to keep the grass down.
I'm told Alpacas are fairly easy to care for, so lets hope that's right, as I haven't got a clue what I'm doing. (Hope they do) :D

The site has already been a great source of information, and I look forward to reading more.

Lisa :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #442317 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Chihuahuas and All
Welcome. We all take turns at asking the dumb questions here. :D
I saw a TV show where they looked at dog breeds and how good they might be as farm dogs, and the chihuahua did very well: it was assertive, active and very interested in the sheep. And yes, the sheep did pay attention to it too. All the rest is training.[;)] So you may have your hands full keeping them away from stock! Some of the other breeds were expected to do well by many people, but were too passive or uninterested. One was the golden retriever, but I can't remember the others.

More
9 years 8 months ago #442324 by ZummersetGirl
Replied by ZummersetGirl on topic Chihuahuas and All
Hi Starborn - I too have just an acre and I call it my pico lsb :D
Have been there since July and an acre is going to keep me busy for quite a while setting up raised beds, a run for the dog and getting chooks. Hope to be most self-sufficient. As to stupid questions - step in line behind me[:I]

More
9 years 8 months ago #442517 by starborn
Replied by starborn on topic Chihuahuas and All
Thank you for the Welcome.

More
9 years 7 months ago #443983 by secoff
Replied by secoff on topic Chihuahuas and All
Welcome. We also have a couple of Chihuahuas on our 1/2 Acre. Haven't introducing them to any Livestock yet.

Grant, Janna, Bill, Robyn, Belinda,Logan. Alpine(dog), Gizmo (dog) Tigger(cat)

More
9 years 7 months ago #443989 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Chihuahuas and All
welcome.

we have 2 chihuahuas and one in particular follows me everywhere on the farm. to feed the animals, walks under the cows and horses (who ignore her luckily), gets chased by the lambs if she barks at them, gets mud up to her ears by playing in the swamp... she loves being a farm dog.

More
9 years 7 months ago #444002 by jimminette
Replied by jimminette on topic Chihuahuas and All
Welcome Starborn -

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds