French kiwi in Taranaki

More
11 years 4 months ago #33232 by Mibellule
Hi everyone, my husband and I just bought a farmlet in Taranaki. We have approx 3 acres of land with 4 chooks, 2 horses and a miniature horse. Learning everyday about fencing, planting, grazing, etc........ NOt an easy job when you're from an other country :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #441792 by igor
Replied by igor on topic French kiwi in Taranaki
Hi Mibellule. Welcome to the site. What part of France are you from? My son spent an enjoyable six months in the South of France as an exchange student a few years ago.

More
11 years 4 months ago #441814 by nicholsons
Replied by nicholsons on topic French kiwi in Taranaki
Bonjour Mibellule. Used to visit France heaps when lived in the UK and had wee place near Fougeres until the delights of NZ beckoned.

Owned by 3 cats, 2 kune kunes, 1 wee orphan wild piglet (Wiggles), 2 pigs, 9 alpacas, 4 sheep and 1 donkey. And at some point we also both work lol

More
11 years 4 months ago #442258 by Mibellule
Replied by Mibellule on topic French kiwi in Taranaki
Hi everyone,

My husband is from Dax in south west, I am from Tours, center west :)

More
11 years 4 months ago #442259 by Mibellule

nicholsons;441408 wrote: Bonjour Mibellule. Used to visit France heaps when lived in the UK and had wee place near Fougeres until the delights of NZ beckoned.

New Zealand is an amazing, beautiful country.
My husband is from Dax (south west), I am from Tours (centre west). But I've been living in Paris, Avignon and Toulouse...

More
11 years 4 months ago #442357 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic French kiwi in Taranaki
Where did you discover that word "chook" when you really mean "poulet"? I thought that was NZ slang. Welcome. One acre is not really big enough for any herbivore animal unless you are going to buy lots of food for them. There should always be more than one, because anything needs company of it's own kind.

More
11 years 4 months ago #442409 by Mibellule
We have 3 acres, not only 1.
We have 4 chooks, 2 big horses, 1 miniature horse and 1 cat...and a few rats :D
We have too much grass, so we are thinking of getting a cow too... good for x grazing!

More
11 years 4 months ago #442466 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic French kiwi in Taranaki
At this time of the year you should have lots and lots and lots of grass. But unless you can irrigate the growth is likely to slow right down or stop by the end of November, and not start growing again until mid March for about 3 or 4 weeks.
With 2 cows .... never get just one because it is inhumane .... you will be way overstocked. 2 horses and a mini sounds about correct for 3 acres.

More
11 years 4 months ago #442471 by michkaz
Replied by michkaz on topic French kiwi in Taranaki
Hi Millebulle :) I am french too! From Bordeaux and husband is kiwi... I have lived in Paris for a few years too before moving to London...and then to beautiful NZ! We have a lifestyle block in Franklin, south of Auckland.

Enjoying every seconds of our new life [;)]

More
11 years 1 month ago #449437 by mrquail
Replied by mrquail on topic French kiwi in Taranaki
Salut Mibellule
You might be surprised how many French people live in New Zealand! I have almost as many French friends as kiwi (it helps that I speak French....)
If your land is not too wet, maybe you could consider some goats rather than a cow? Good milk, especially for making your own chevre salade....

More
11 years 1 month ago #450177 by wellywearers
Salut Mibellule,

We're still in France at the moment but planning on heading to NZ this year.
I'm pleased to read that there are French folks in NZ. We're Brits who have lived in France for nearly 9 years and we're going to be sad to leave the language behind. I'm really hoping I meet some Fench speakers to keep it up!

Hi Nicholsons, we're about half an hour away from Fougères! Small world :) .

For those who did the move from France please feel free to pm us with any recommendations for movers etc etc. We're currently getting quotes. Unfortunately our alpacas or chickens won't be coming with us but the cats will!

More
11 years 1 month ago #450192 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic French kiwi in Taranaki

mrquail;449839 wrote: Salut Mibellule
You might be surprised how many French people live in New Zealand! I have almost as many French friends as kiwi (it helps that I speak French....)
If your land is not too wet, maybe you could consider some goats rather than a cow? Good milk, especially for making your own chevre salade....

I've also been surprised at the number of French making the move downunder recently ... as I can't imagine leaving France if that was home!!! Such a beautiful place! If our kids and grandkids weren't here we'd probably go in the opposite direction :D :D :D .

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds