Hi from Piston Broke Ranch

More
9 years 8 months ago #33188 by Pistin Broke Ranch
weve just brought our dream lifestyle block allowing us to become one day more sustainable and selfsafficent one day ...
we`re looking forward to having space and a few more animals i have chickens heritage and shavers , peking and muscovy ducks ,goats and pet sheep ; am looking for to add to this and yes have been told its the life sentence block already !
crazy as we may be were looking forward to the challenge and benifits and my 3 kids are excited about space for their mini quads .
Lookforward to learning from you pro`s out there :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #441144 by RichardW
Replied by RichardW on topic Hi from Piston Broke Ranch
Hi there PBR and welcome,are you planing a garden as well.

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

More
9 years 8 months ago #441145 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Hi from Piston Broke Ranch
Welcome. How much land have you bought?

Pistin Broke Ranch;440655 wrote: ...my 3 kids are excited about space for their mini quads.

Bear in mind that the noise those machines make can carry a long way and be extremely irritating to others who moved there for the quiet!

More
9 years 8 months ago #441192 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Hi from Piston Broke Ranch
Welcome to the site PBR. Let your children enjoy their motor sport. The peace of the countryside has nothing to do with quiet. The sound of a milking machine or a big fridge motor can carry for some considerable distance also. I do not find my neighbours childrens' quad any more noisy than a lawnmower or chainsaw operating at a similar distance away.

More
9 years 8 months ago #441209 by Pistin Broke Ranch
what a stunning sunny day we`re having here hope it lasts the weekened.
We have 11.5 acres , the quads are the same size motor as hubby`s chain saw lol .. tho hubbys hot rod makes more noise should they complain . Theirs a quad bike track on the farm 4 doors down for the littlies to learn on so i don`t think the neighbours are too bothered ??
Yes am putting a huge Garden and orchard in but am going to wait til we`ve move there as the settlements end of november so not there yet but have used Kohanga before when they were in Kaiwaka thank you for the link :)
Saw a beautiful tree today on the way home so stop by and asked they farmer what it was, its a Pauloweanea it was smothered in huge lilac purple bells with a beautiful purfume; they lady gave me cuttings but i forgot to ask her if they were safe for animals to be around as she had them as a hedge in her garden anyone know ???

More
9 years 8 months ago #441239 by LongRidge
Paulonia is safe enough for animals. It is used by the Chinese for timber, I think, but they might also have found some health properties for it.
Where are you? Each area is somewhat different so if we know your approx position we can make suggestions that might be more relevant to you.

More
9 years 8 months ago #441282 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Hi from Piston Broke Ranch
the spelling is paulownia if you want to google it :)

one in my garden seems to have selfseeded... theres one in the neighbours paddock even.... 20-30m from my main one

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
9 years 8 months ago #441443 by Pistin Broke Ranch
I`m in kumeu west Auckland :)

More
9 years 8 months ago #441513 by FarmerEms
We have a Paulownia also - And there is plenty in Kaukapakapa, beautiful trees! We had not seen them until we moved out to Kaukap, and we were puzzled as to what we were!

Growing the LSB one kid/lamb/calf/piglet at a time.. [8D]

More
9 years 8 months ago #441565 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Hi from Piston Broke Ranch

katieb;440833 wrote: the spelling is paulownia if you want to google it :)

one in my garden seems to have selfseeded... theres one in the neighbours paddock even.... 20-30m from my main one

Thankyou for that. A couple of days before this thread came up I noticed a huge tree with beautiful lavender coloured, bell like flowers on the side of the road. I had never seen one before and had no idea what it was. Now I do :)

PB, welcome to the site :) - but I really hope the pistons do break before your children drive the neighbours nuts. And I've got to be honest, I'm glad your nowhere near me.

Cheers,
Ronnie

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds