Hi from abroad

More
9 years 8 months ago #33132 by wellywearers
Hi from abroad was created by wellywearers
Hi all. You look like our kind of people. We're currently living on 5 acres in France (hens, alpacas, veg etc) and are looking to move to NZ. We need to be nearish to a town/city for jobs (teaching) but want to have our own patch of rural heaven. Any advice about where to look would be most appreciated (It needs to be cheap, we're thinking maybe North or West coast of South island? .... but what do we know?!)

Will we still need to wear our wellies? Are they called wellies in NZ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #440555 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Hi from abroad
Welcome - or from my rusty French, isn't that bienvenue?

Gumboots, as in "If it weren't for your gumboots, where would you be?" (You'll no doubt eventually come across that great Kiwi song: good to be able to sing when you're out slogging through the mud.) It just wouldn't work with wellies.

We have schools throughout the country, not just in the cities - unless your teaching is at tertiary level, in which case that is slightly more restricted. I doubt you'll find cheap, but you will find a range of options, depending on where you decide to look. It's cheaper up here (north of the North Island*) than it would be around Nelson (north of the South Island*) for example.

*Never forget the article: "the" is a necessary part of the names of both islands, in both languages (te in te reo, of course).

Why New Zealand? Isn't France lovely?

More
9 years 8 months ago #440562 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic Hi from abroad
Yep, we understand wellies - but around my part of the country anyway, you're more likely to call them gummies (short for gumboots).

In case you haven't come across it yet - here's a website with a Lifestyle dedicated set of real estate listings.

www.trademe.co.nz/property/lifestyle-property

We're in the Manawatu - central lower North Island - 2 hours to Wellington for the city life; 2 hours to Mt Ruapehu for the winter sport; a university in Palmerston North and a large provincial hospital which keep things ticking along in terms of the local economy. Not close the the sea however if you want a beach in your backyard. Airport for direct flights to Auckland and Christchurch.

Ideal location in NZ has much to do with your pastime/hobby interests and the kind of climate you prefer... plus of course where the work is!

Happy looking.

More
9 years 8 months ago #440575 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Hi from abroad
We have two seasons in NZ at the moment, one is called the mud season and seems to be lasting about 8months for people not in the city, the other is called the galosher season when the wellies are too hot to wear and its a bit less sloshy underfoot.
Some of us remember those times when you could go barefoot for a large part of the year if you chose
Good luck

More
9 years 8 months ago #440583 by Ruth
Mud season? Some sort of manifestation of hell is my current feeling. This is the most hideous spring I can remember. (Memory a bit dodgy these days, but this has been utterly horrid!)

More
9 years 8 months ago #440665 by wellywearers
Replied by wellywearers on topic Hi from abroad
Hi,
thanks all for your nice comments.
Aria, thanks for the web link, we hadn't come across it so very interesting.
The houses are very different to here!
Not sure about mud...thinking the North island might be better for a better climate..
Ruth, yes France is lovely, but it's time for a new challenge and a new part of the world. And thanks for the "the" advice.

More
9 years 8 months ago #440683 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Hi from abroad
Welcome wellywearers [8D]

Ruth;440039 wrote:
Gumboots, as in "If it weren't for your gumboots, where would you be?" (You'll no doubt eventually come across that great Kiwi song: good to be able to sing when you're out slogging through the mud.) It just wouldn't work with wellies.

Useless bit of trivia here....the Fred Dagg song was a reworking of the Billy Connelly song called 'If it wasn't for your wellies.'

Web Goddess

More
9 years 8 months ago #440686 by Ruth

Kate;440180 wrote: ...Useless bit of trivia here....the Fred Dagg song was a reworking of the Billy Connelly song called 'If it wasn't for your wellies.'

I am devastated!

More
9 years 8 months ago #440688 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Hi from abroad
In all seriousness though, you are best to do a tour of the country or at least rent somewhere initially, it would be very hard to decide from abroad where might be the nicest part of nz to live in.
If you asked on this forum you would get 100s of different answers,
But it can be expensive not doing your homework well if you buy one place then dont like it.
The south island is so scenic, but the climate is colder but also crisper
the north island can be more humid and often wetter and the pace of life a bit more frantic

More
9 years 8 months ago #440691 by Ruth
The pace of life in Muriwai may be frantic, but most people I've talked to who visit from overseas are surprised how slow everything is, even in our fastest places! Long may it stay that way.

I've come to the conclusion that people are as happy in places as they decide to be, unless there's some hideous unknown factor they really can't live with, discovered after they move in. We had neighbours a few years ago whom I would guarantee are just as miserable about their new location as they were living up here. Everything was wrong with everyone else, all the time. I doubt their new surroundings are any different. :)

I'm not very happy living here right now: far too much mud. But I've just had breakfast, morning tea is about to be served and then I shall have lunch. The sun is also, at last, shining! After lunch I plan a little nap. There are ways of getting through things. [;)]

More
9 years 8 months ago #440720 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hi from abroad
I've lived in Thames, Palmerston North, Wellington, Christchurch, Timaru and now Nelson. I do not like the humidity north of Palmerston North, nor the weather of PN, Wgt and Chch. Nelson has rather boring weather - fine most of the time. West Coast, South Island has very interesting weather - thunder and lightening, torrential rain, and brilliant sunny days ..... sometimes all in the same day.

More
9 years 8 months ago #440722 by Ruth
Many people do not like the humidity of the North. Lots of us who were born into it find it the most comfortable environment in which to reside. It is certainly a commonly mentioned climatic factor.

More
9 years 8 months ago #440728 by Paaparore whenua
Replied by Paaparore whenua on topic Hi from abroad
Hi Wellywearers and welcome to the site.
Weather-wise, NZ is certainly maritime, with lots of moist rain-bearing weather from every quarter. We live in the north of the Far North of the North Island, and I LOVE it (born in Invercargill). Nuts grow well in NZ - hazelnuts further south, macadamia nuts up here.
But the people here are wonderful and that's what makes any climate livable.

More
9 years 8 months ago #440736 by wellywearers
Replied by wellywearers on topic Hi from abroad
Thanks again for your replies.

Muri - yes we certainly would rent at first. A holiday is something we'd like to do but we're not sure we've got the cash. (We'll need it for all the other stuff we have to do to get in).

So for now we'll keep googling around .... and the chance of a job may well make our choice for us.

More
9 years 8 months ago #440808 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Hi from abroad
Hi wellywearers. Welcome aboard. As Paaparore Whenua says nuts grow well in New Zealand. You will encounter quite a few of us on this site. You will no doubt have realised that if you are coming here with Sterling or Euro in your pocket you will effectively double your money on arrival. If you have never been to New Zealand before I would suggest that you buy a car and take a few months to drift around exploring before you rush into anything. It does not need to be expensive to tour here.

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds