hi - intro self

More
9 years 9 months ago #33030 by newby chch
hi - intro self was created by newby chch
Hi everyone, introducing self and family. We have brough a 4h block outside of chch. looking forward to given the lifestyle a go. Have no idea what Im doing but willing to learn. Should be an interestig ride and would welcome any advice you guys can give

Cheers :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #439601 by cantabcook
Replied by cantabcook on topic hi - intro self
Well hi there, we are newbies too and have an offer on a 4ha just out of Chch as well. Are you in the North Canterbury area too by any chance?

More
9 years 9 months ago #439734 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic hi - intro self
Welcome to the neighbourhood! :D

More
9 years 8 months ago #442234 by Negodil
Replied by Negodil on topic hi - intro self
Hi, welcome to the forum. Plenty of helpful people here, no matter what your plans for your block. I know how you feel, I started 4 years ago so still learning! It's been a very enjoyable experience, I only wish I didn't have to work full time as well. I hope it works out for you.

Fairhaven Alpacas, breeding champion Suri alpaca in Temuka

More
9 years 8 months ago #442240 by griev
Replied by griev on topic hi - intro self
welcome fellow Cantab, always good people on here, heaps with experience, enjoy your block!

Let the sun shine on my solar panels[:)]

More
9 years 8 months ago #442245 by RichardW
Replied by RichardW on topic hi - intro self
Yes there's a lot of us cantabs here :D ,welcome to the forum

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

More
9 years 8 months ago #443051 by newby chch
Replied by newby chch on topic hi - intro self
Hi Yipe cantabcook in northcanterbury west eryton to be more exact.
been busy trying to make all those lovely decisions ............ water, septic tank driveway house plans lots of decision lots of confusion hopefully make the right ones guess time will tell.

any advice on septic tanks guys as to what is the better system?

More
9 years 8 months ago #443065 by igor
Replied by igor on topic hi - intro self
Think outside the square. Consider a composting toilet (Clivus Multrim or similar) and a grey water only system.

More
9 years 8 months ago #443128 by Flossie
Replied by Flossie on topic hi - intro self
Hiya, we are in Okuku and bought the land & built the house, we have an Oasis septic tank and its fine, everyone around here seems to have them. It's had it's first 6 month service, the guy gave me a guided tour which I wasn't that enthused about but it's all good and he gave me good tips about what products to use in the house seeing as have never had a septic tank before. Good luck hope goes well. :D

~Flossie~

More
9 years 8 months ago #443132 by newby chch
Hi did you get the oasis clearwater 2000 system I have heard that that more moving parts the more to go wrong and that these ones have a tendency to break down a lot and are expensive to fix.

More
9 years 8 months ago #443133 by igor
Replied by igor on topic hi - intro self
A proper septic tank has no moving parts. It's just a big vessel for the bacteria to live in. If it is correctly sited gravity should take care of all movement of materials. The only time any moving parts are involved is if your land is so flat that you need to pump the effluent.

More
9 years 8 months ago #443156 by wandering free
Replied by wandering free on topic hi - intro self

igor;442859 wrote: A proper septic tank has no moving parts. It's just a big vessel for the bacteria to live in. If it is correctly sited gravity should take care of all movement of materials. The only time any moving parts are involved is if your land is so flat that you need to pump the effluent.

igor, you're right we just had our soak away replaced after the old one got blocked by roots, the grease trap from the kitchen kept flooding and we had built an extension over the pipe to the soak away hence the need to replace it. cost us under $500 but we did a lot of the digging but still used a digger for the main drainage, from what the plumber said it's the soakaway that courses most problems with the old systems and ours must have been in since the house was built (edit that, assembled from 2 army huts) in the late 1940s. The tank was cleaned recently after 30+ years and when they did it they remarked how well the tank was still working, and doing a better job than most modern types, he was very sarcastic about the pumped systems, he didn't think they were that reliable and in his opinion just jobs for the boys cleaning filters and checking pumps every 6 months.

Edit again just found this sewagetreatment.co.nz/eco-friendly.html
it uses no power and is minimum maintenance.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
9 years 8 months ago #443172 by Flossie
Replied by Flossie on topic hi - intro self
Not sure re which system? Nothing moves, just the chambers under the green lids where the stuff moves through. Its the same as all the neighbours have and they have all been here anything up to 4 years and all recommended it.

~Flossie~

More
9 years 8 months ago #443300 by little red digger
Replied by little red digger on topic hi - intro self
We have the Oasis system and have had no problems in the last 5 years. The drip lines are great and water the fruit trees.

Dave and Ruth, Oxford Contracting

More
9 years 7 months ago #443676 by newby chch

little red digger;443047 wrote: We have the Oasis system and have had no problems in the last 5 years. The drip lines are great and water the fruit trees.

The oasis 2000 with the drip lines is what has been suggested to us but then also got told that with the Aerated parts that they have a habit of breaking down and are expensive to replace.
The other worry I had was hoping to put them under the fruit trees but had also wanted the orchard to be a place for the kids to play and was concerenced about the fact it had to be completly fenced off with no human stock vechile access.
It made me wonder how 'safe' it was.
Or if using the

CLEARWATER Z54

SEPTIC TANK and TREATMENT SYSTEM
was a better idea.

Any thoughts folks - getting pretty confused by it all.:confused:

Time to create page: 0.267 seconds