Tristan and Amanda

More
9 years 9 months ago #32907 by Quinn Acres
Hi there! We came across this VERY informative site today as we have a ewe, that has recently lambed, with her fleece coming away and in one patch you can see her pink skin! (We only have a total of 4 ewes and the rest are fine). We managed to check for lice but couldn't see anything... any suggestions? Also, is it true you can not get a lamb vaccine this year? We thought we would do it this year as have had previous lamb loss from pulpy kidney. We are in Southland. :confused:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #438093 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic Tristan and Amanda
Stress can cause the wool fibre to break. Recent snow plus something else perhaps? What's her condition like? Was it a trouble-free lambing? If it's lice you normally see the ewe rubbing on trees, fences etc and you can see the fleece looks damaged/fluffy on the ends.

Dunno about the lamb vaccine - seems odd - check with your vet clinic.

hilldweller

More
9 years 9 months ago #438155 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Tristan and Amanda
I got lamb vax from my vets... they have a loan pack so i just borrowed it for my small mob & gt charged for what i used

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
9 years 9 months ago #438156 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Tristan and Amanda
Katieb, I think the lambvax that you are taling about is not for pulpy kidney but for when you are docking or de-balling.
Its for tetanus and is not related to pulpy kidney.
Then there is the 5.1 vaccine with is what Tristan and Amanda are talking about probably as that covers pulpy kidney and a few other things. You can vaccine the mothers before they give birth and then the lambs again at I think 12 weeks and again later.
If the sheep have east friesian in them, they tend to put all their energy into milk production at the expense of their wool.
I notice my east friesians start shedding after lambing and tufts of wool can start falling away

More
9 years 9 months ago #438172 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Tristan and Amanda
hey muri
I didnt even read the pulpy kidney part... was just saying I was able to get it :)
I do know its just tetnus as I didnt get around to 5 in 1ing ewes before lambing so all lambs have had a 5 in1 & lamb vax when putting rings on tails... most of them are due for 2nd 5 in 1 next week

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
9 years 9 months ago #438345 by Quinn Acres
Replied by Quinn Acres on topic Tristan and Amanda
Thank you everyone for your helpful comments.
The ewe has always been a bit overweight and therefore has had trouble lambing. She had a set of triplets this year but only one survived, which is a better survival rate than last year. Perhaps the birth could've stressed her out?
Funny, staff at PGG Wrightsons reccommended the lamb vax for pulpy kidney and then told us you can't get it. We would like to do the 5 in 1 but it is very expensive for our small flock. Will perhaps ask around the local farmers.
Thanks again [8D]

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds