Greetings from the Bay of Plenty

More
9 years 9 months ago #32849 by ArohaW
Hi guys. my family and I have just recently moved onto a 5 acre rural property in the Lower Kaimais. As of todays count we have 1 Rooster, 4 laying hens and 1 brood hen with 7 chicks. We also have about 20 odd roosters and hens invading us from the neighbours property during the day. 4 of which are providing us with sneaky eggs during the day though which gives us a total of 8 a day so I won't complain :D
I also love gardening and am entered in the Yates Garden Challenge, but as I am still quite a novice I thought I could definitely do with a bit of advice from time to time. I have 3 different vegie gardens planned this year and with our flock of laying hens slowly increasing we are hoping to become pretty much self sustaining by next year. There is also an unused pig sty on the property which we are hoping to do up and get a few weaners. And possibly a couple of sheep or maybe even a milking cow and calf :) The possibilities are endless :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #437413 by tonic
hello and welcome! we are between behtlehem and te puna, so not far from you.

More
9 years 9 months ago #437509 by Sofia Rose
Hi from down t'other end of island in Otaki, also new to this group. Chooks make Excellent 'rotary hoes' in the vege garden at the end of a growing season. And Ducks (if you decide to increase your feathered family) are great in an orchard area to keep bugs in check. Sounds like your having fun already. :-)
Good luck with the Yates Gardening Challenge.

Sofia Rose

More
9 years 9 months ago #437541 by ArohaW
Thanks guys :) The chooks are good little diggers, a little too good sometimes though. They left some lovely large holes in our lawn from dustbathing that I had to keep filling in. They haven't been doing too much dustbathing lately though so it's given my lawn a chance to recover. They were a big help when I first dug the garden over too. I let them scratch through it all winter which helped loosen the soil up a lot. We would like to eventually plant some fruit trees but at the moment we will have to make do with our little potted lemon tree :) Ducks would be awesome too, I'm not sure how they would get along with our chooks though? They are very territorial lol

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds